Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
04-23-2008

HAAHAHAAHAHA.
l
Busy, busy, busy
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
04-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeNo View Post
Genesis 1:1- In the beginning, God created the Heavens, and the Earth.

That answer your question?
How have you not accidentally committed suicide by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG chuhkee View Post
Prove to me that there is life on other planets and I'll stop believing in Christ, k?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T for ToXiC View Post
That penny does not have a mind or the ability to think. It is at the will of the ocean. Intelligent life forms are not at the will of the ocean and have the ability to think. That is a flawed analogy.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeRoNuS View Post
The Bible takes place on Earth, right? So please, riddle me this, was Jesus also born on the planets in this photo?

There's about... 10,000 Galaxies in that photo. There's about... 1-9 Trillion Stars in each galaxy. Each star has a possibility of another planetary orbit. I wonder if God created Aliens in his image!
Socom
Level 38
Subtract from Socom's ReputationAdd to Socom's Reputation Socom is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Socom
04-23-2008

So how about them Yankees?
Midpoint
Level 40
Subtract from Midpoint's ReputationAdd to Midpoint's Reputation Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Midpoint
04-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
So how about them Yankees?
Forget them.

How about some pie?
VoRLiN
Level 30
Subtract from VoRLiN's ReputationAdd to VoRLiN's Reputation VoRLiN is a novice
04-23-2008

My question is....

Where the FUCK is your jesus now?
Returning to Reach Fall 2011
CeRoNuS
Ghostwalking.
Subtract from CeRoNuS's ReputationAdd to CeRoNuS's Reputation CeRoNuS is a novice
04-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by l Thund3r l View Post
Ceronus your a f.cking moron
I second this.
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
04-24-2008

Isn't it a miracle that we haven't encountered other intelligent life forms? You guys say there are trillions and trillions of bajillions of galaxies yet we haven't seen any signs of other life forms (believe me, I get the picture). What are the odds of that? Or maybe they are there but we are too primitive and they follow the prime directive.

Furthermore, who is to say prophets weren't sent to other planets? Just because it wasn't specifically stated means it hasn't happened? If it did happen why the f.ck would God tell us about it? Genesis 1337: "1 billion light years away from the temple of Solomon we have sent signs to extraterrestrial creatures that will never affect you in any way."

This is such a silly topic.

TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
04-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
Isn't it a miracle that we haven't encountered other intelligent life forms? You guys say there are trillions and trillions of bajillions of galaxies yet we haven't seen any signs of other life forms (believe me, I get the picture). What are the odds of that? Or maybe they are there but we are too primitive and they follow the prime directive.
No, it's not a miracle at all. We've only had the capability to detect alien life for the past 60 years, at the very most. We'd only be able to detect alien life that is about 30 light years away, which is a billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of trillionth (four more times) of the universe. Our galaxy is a 3-dimensional disk 100,000 light years across, and 20,000+ light years in 'height'. If alien civilizations exist, they must be within 30 light years of us in order for us to be aware of their presence. That is, 30 light years for our radio communications to get to them, and another 30 for theirs to get back. We have, by the way, only been looking via radio communications for less than 60 years.

Quote:
Furthermore, who is to say prophets weren't sent to other planets? Just because it wasn't specifically stated means it hasn't happened? If it did happen why the f.ck would God tell us about it? Genesis 1337: "1 billion light years away from the temple of Solomon we have sent signs to extraterrestrial creatures that will never affect you in any way."

This is such a silly topic.
The fact of the matter is that Genesis is a completely inaccurate portrait of everything. It's a poorly written fairy tale with absolutely no basis in reality. If I were god, I would lie to the people who I inspire to write my book. LOL! Something to the effect of, "this temple humanity lives on circles the Sun, and there are many other peoples on many other temples". That isn't too scientific, but it isn't wrong, like Genesis.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
No, it's not a miracle at all. We've only had the capability to detect alien life for the past 60 years, at the very most. We'd only be able to detect alien life that is about 30 light years away, which is a billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of trillionth (four more times) of the universe. Our galaxy is a 3-dimensional disk 100,000 light years across, and 20,000+ light years in 'height'. If alien civilizations exist, they must be within 30 light years of us in order for us to be aware of their presence. That is, 30 light years for our radio communications to get to them, and another 30 for theirs to get back. We have, by the way, only been looking via radio communications for less than 60 years.
For some reason I always know what your replies are going to be, lol. I already took that light year factor into account. I think its possible for some civilizations to be much more advanced than us. Maybe they can travel faster than the speed of light through worm holes, utilizing black holes and white holes etc. Using their technology they could've easily detected us and traveled here. Considering we just came into the picture a hundred thousand years ago and now we are at this point of advancement. Not to mention our rate growth is increasing as we go. It's very possible for some other alien race to have come into the picture and have an extra few millions years of experience. And you're assuming that no one out there is looking for us or any other planets for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
The fact of the matter is that Genesis is a completely inaccurate portrait of everything. It's a poorly written fairy tale with absolutely no basis in reality. If I were god, I would lie to the people who I inspire to write my book. LOL! Something to the effect of, "this temple humanity lives on circles the Sun, and there are many other peoples on many other temples". That isn't too scientific, but it isn't wrong, like Genesis.
Then how are you lying? I don't really understand this part of your reply. Alls I know is that it would be dumb to talk about stuff completely irrelevant tot he matter at hand. It would just confuse the people more.

TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
For some reason I always know what your replies are going to be, lol. I already took that light year factor into account. I think its possible for some civilizations to be much more advanced than us. Maybe they can travel faster than the speed of light through worm holes, utilizing black holes and white holes etc. Using their technology they could've easily detected us and traveled here.
So, they could have easily detected us by some means that is, even theoretically almost impossible? I don't buy it. Even if they did have faster than light technology, that doesn't change the fact that our radio messages will only have gotten about 60 light years away, meaning they would have to be only that tiny distance away from us. It's impossible for someone 5,000 light years away to detect our radio transmissions.

Even if they had detected us, the chances of them actually making contact are slim. They would risk biological contamination of our world (or of their species), so that means no hand shakes, or not even a visit to the planet. The problem I have with sci-fi is that when captain picard and company beam down to a planet they've never been before, they expose the entire planet to life it's never seen before (aka, their own skin cells, or other wayward cells). In reality, a SINGLE skin cell from an alien would probably wipe our all of humanity, and vice versa.

I'm just throwing in this last bit for good measure - UFO sightings are a complete load IMHO. I mean, if we can read the newspaper from a satellite more than 5,000 miles above the Earth, what the fuck makes people think alien's would need to travel into our atmosphere to observe us? It's really comical, to me at least.

Quote:
Considering we just came into the picture a hundred thousand years ago and now we are at this point of advancement. Not to mention our rate growth is increasing as we go. It's very possible for some other alien race to have come into the picture and have an extra few millions years of experience. And you're assuming that no one out there is looking for us or any other planets for that matter.
I believe that it is highly probable that alien civilizations more advanced than our own exist within our universe, and even within our galaxy (and probably within 100 light years from us!), but I cannot and will not say that I believe with certainty that they exist. If they do exist and are comparable to or greater than us in intellect, there is a high probability that they're looking for life on other worlds, just like we are. But again, the universe is 60 billion light years across (that's, 60,000,000,000 light years, with one light year being 5,878,625,373,183.61 miles), and at the furthest, an alien race 60 light years away would be aware of our presence.

How do you propose to look for life? Point your radio telescope at every star to see if non-normal (astronomically speaking) radio waves are being emitted? It would take thousands of years to scan the stars within 100 light years of you (even 100 light years around you is 4,188,666.67 cubic light years, see the problem?).

Quote:
Then how are you lying? I don't really understand this part of your reply. Alls I know is that it would be dumb to talk about stuff completely irrelevant tot he matter at hand. It would just confuse the people more.
You (and others) mentioned that it is useless for god to talk about real astronomy in Genesis, but I pointed out how it could have been done in a correct and easily understandable manner, that would have been perfectly acceptable for the era.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .