Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
SticK
Level 46
Subtract from SticK's ReputationAdd to SticK's Reputation SticK is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SticK
12-31-2006
Default Need a smart person.

Ok, I have a really messed up family, but let me just say something on my Dad's side real fast. He married a 22 year old stripper, 4 years ago. They had like 3 kids. Now they are 100% Christian. Loooong story, and that has nothing to do with this really, but listen.

Now, they are 100% trying to force their morals on myself, friends and just everyone they see. They basically ruined 50% of my life, but I don't care, I still have a good life ... anyway ...

First let's start off that I don't really have a religion. I never been to Church. I celebrate X-Mas. I believe in God, I just don't believe anything in the Bible, I believe in theory of evolution. And all that. I was never tought religion, nor do I want to be tought religion. I am fine the way I am and enjoy my life.

My Dad and my Stepmom, just try to force their what I like to call "Bullshit", onto me. I always try to come up with witty remarks to make them have nothing to say about their religion.

Today they basically tried telling me that Noah's Arc was discovered 2 years ago, it was found on top of a mountain, in some ice cube. I than asked how long ago was Noah's Arc, they said 4000 years. I said, "No matter what material that ship was made out of, there is no way it stayed in condition to be examed by people 4000 years later. There is no way the wood did not rot and what not". Then they did their little religion block responce, "Well believe it because if God wants it to happen, blah blag blah".

What I want you smart people, with this kind of stuff to help me out. Give me some things to say to my Dad and Stepmom, that will make them think and hace nothing to say. Wheather (sp), it's from how earth was created or ANYTHING about religion.

I just want them to feel wrong for once, and stop shoving their morals down my throat.

Thanks.

My spelling is really bad today for some reason, sorry. I am just rambling on, so I hope osme of you can understand.
H2F Retiree
ArKoS
Level 20
Subtract from ArKoS's ReputationAdd to ArKoS's Reputation ArKoS is a novice
Send a message via AIM to ArKoS
12-31-2006

Its always hard to convince a deep christian, trust me.
Their faith is always strong.

Just wait for Vagrant and NG to get into this.

Thanks Me7zger :) ^^
SticK
Level 46
Subtract from SticK's ReputationAdd to SticK's Reputation SticK is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SticK
12-31-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKoS View Post
Its always hard to convince a deep christian, trust me.
Their faith is always strong.

Just wait for Vagrant and NG to get into this.
Yeah, I need someone experienced with debating religion.

I have no idea what to say to them. I just kind of want something to say to make them go, "Hm, well I don't know", maybe that snap them out of it for a second.
H2F Retiree
TriaD III
Level 14
Subtract from TriaD III's ReputationAdd to TriaD III's Reputation TriaD III is a novice
12-31-2006

If nothing gets across to them, I guess ignoring them would be the best alternative
"...atheism is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'non-astrologer' or a 'non-alchemist.' We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle."
-Sam Harris
anton
totally awesome
Subtract from anton's ReputationAdd to anton's Reputation anton is a novice
Send a message via AIM to anton
12-31-2006

well, my friend has basically the same out look, it's not bad by any means...

ive always gone to church, but about a year ago i really thought abuot it. it seemed impossible scientifically for everything in the Bible to be 100% true.

i kinda started to lean to the Big Bang Theory and Evolution thing, but then this was the "BIG THOUGHT" that convinced me to remain christian...

"Even if Adam and Eve weren't the first, and Earth was not created by God, but by a 'Big Bang', where did all that initial matter come from??"

i dunno man, it's hard to just change your beliefs from someone telling you what to believe.

lols
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
12-31-2006

i saw a good quote in another thread a couple days ago

it went something like

when you figure out why you disregard all other possible gods, you will understand why i disregard yours.

just basically ask them why they disregard all the other religions and believe Christianity is so right

or ask them who created god, they'll give you a bullshit answer
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-31-2006

Well, I can tell you right now, "God wills it to be" is the be-all and end-all of Christianity. There's no way you can prove a hardcore Bible-purist Christian wrong because they make sh*t up.

But we can be a resource for you if they say something you can't retort to immediately.

Also, the Noah's Ark thing was a hoax.

Elmo <3
White Rabiit
Level 12
Subtract from White Rabiit's ReputationAdd to White Rabiit's Reputation White Rabiit is a novice
12-31-2006

Its disputed weather a Noah's piece of Noah's ark was found. The mountain they believe it to be on is Mount Ararat. A piece of wood was found on top of this mountain and this was the area that Noah was generally believed to live in (Turkey I believe). Expidetions after the finding of this piece of wood all resulted in failure of finding an other piece. However an image taken by a US satalliet shows a boat like structure somewhat hidden in a cave. I will try to find the image for you
Vagrant
OLD BLUE
Subtract from Vagrant's ReputationAdd to Vagrant's Reputation Vagrant finally popped his Bubble Shield Vagrant finally popped his Bubble Shield Vagrant finally popped his Bubble Shield Vagrant finally popped his Bubble Shield
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
12-31-2006

Explain it to them the way you just explained it to us. Tell them that what you believe and do not believe is your personal choice, and if it doesn't fall in line with what they believe then you'll just have to not see eye to eye on that subject. Tell them you'll still respect their outlook as long as they respect your own.

Everybody finds their own path to religion if they find it. To deny you the experience of finding your own path would weaken the eventual choice that you make due to it being more a direct result of influence and not of your own accord.

In other words, whenever they bring it up around you just say you would rather not talk about it. Say it in a respectful way that lets them know you're making an effort to not condemn what they believe, but you would simply rather not discuss it.
Angered
FTN
Subtract from Angered's ReputationAdd to Angered's Reputation Angered is a novice
12-31-2006

As long as you believe, that's all that matters. It shouldn't matter if you follow a certain religion.

But where did you come up with this idea that wood can not last thousands of years- Especially if it's frozen? There are some carpenters who specifically make cabinets and tables out of wood that has been sitting on the bottom of lakes for hundreds if not thousands of years. And guess what? That wood is in perfect condition.

However, I'm not saying Noah's Arc is fact either.
Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.