Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
moose r smelly
fapping bbl lol
Subtract from moose r smelly's ReputationAdd to moose r smelly's Reputation moose r smelly is a novice
Send a message via AIM to moose r smelly
11-21-2006
Default Parents controlling belief...

Do you think that your parents should be able to dictate what your beliefs should be. I'm in a dilemma where I don't believe in God or Creation or pretty much the bible, but my parents are trying to force Jewish beliefs on me.

I personally don't think that your parents should force religion on you. Even if they can legally do it because you aren't of legal age, it's wrong.

Discuss.
wsup den
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
11-21-2006

You think what you want to, but if you are curious just ask us and we'll teach you so you can decide for yourself.

That what my parents taught me.

and no, you are your own person.
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
Socom
Level 38
Subtract from Socom's ReputationAdd to Socom's Reputation Socom is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Socom
11-21-2006

Do your parents know your beliefs?

Last edited by Socom; 11-21-2006 at 07:49 PM.
qq1ForLife
Level 12
Subtract from qq1ForLife's ReputationAdd to qq1ForLife's Reputation qq1ForLife is a novice
Send a message via AIM to qq1ForLife Send a message via MSN to qq1ForLife
11-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3W View Post
You think what you want to, but if you are curious just ask us and we'll teach you so you can decide for yourself.

That what my parents taught me.
Same here. I think this is pretty much the way it should be, too. Remember though that they can't make you believe anything. You can go through the motions if you have to, but you don't have to swallow what they feed you. Still, keep your mind open. For all you know, you may like it.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
11-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose r smelly View Post
Do you think that your parents should be able to dictate what your beliefs should be. I'm in a dilemma where I don't believe in God or Creation or pretty much the bible, but my parents are trying to force Jewish beliefs on me.

I personally don't think that your parents should force religion on you. Even if they can legally do it because you aren't of legal age, it's wrong.

Discuss.
They should share it with you, and definitely expose you to it, but forcing isn't good. Personally, I think Jewish beliefs are teh awesomeness, but you can think what you want. What beliefs in particular are they forcing on you? The ones they should be? Or that every story is 100% true? Action over faith ftw...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
11-22-2006

There's kind of a line here that's hard to draw, but I'll try and make it more clear than what you understand it to be.

You want freedom from their religious opression.

And they want to celebrate their religion without their fickle-minded, teenaged kid screwing them out of a blessing. A lot of these religions call for "family input", and ultimately, your parents just want the best for you. All they're trying to do is show you how this will help you down the road (assuming that they aren't religiously insane).

Now, I'm not saying that you have to listen to everything they say, or that you have to believe any of it.......but what are the conditions that you're in? Like...is this a situation where you have PLACED yourself in the position to be oppressed? Or is this something that your parents have been ignoring?

What's your family's financial status? How old are you? When do/did you graduate? Do you attend the church's adult mass, or the youth group? Do you have friends there? Have you ever gotten in serious trouble before? Are you really intelligent (as in...SURPRISINGLY intelligent...not that you get A's and B's.)?

A lot of this debate depends on the age of the family and the age of the child, and what the rules have been thus far.

I don't think that religion of ANY kind should be forced on anyone. But there's a MAJOR difference between forced religious actions, and exposure to an idea...which, in this case, you haven't really given us enough information to make any kind of judgement call here........so agreeing/disagreeing with you in such an ambiguous case would be pretty ignorant for anyone here...especially since YOU are the only one with all the info.

If they aren't MAKING you go through all the traditions and FORCING you to believe in something that you don't...then all they are doing is showing you what's up in the world, and you're being a cowardly baby.

It's your choice to believe them or not, and they know that as parents...but you might look pretty foolish trying to fight "religious oppression" by throwing away the star-of-David necklace you got for your barmitzvah, just cause you don't want to go to the sunday morning service. You have to actually consider whether this is something that they are just trying to do for your good...or if they are trying to make you someone that you're not, and you have to be vocal. Hiding in a corner...or keeping your feelings to yourself = you accept their beliefs. (At least, from their perspective.)

Parents have the right to influence and teach...but once a child refuses influence...they have become their own person (in the mental sense) and no longer need/want the guidance. That doesn't mean that it still won't be there to influence you (The jews aren't just going to disappear, son)...but you have to differentiate between FORCED TRADITION and an inivitation to go to church/temple/service/mass/whatever it's called.

One situation is a blatant disregard for your beliefs, though you may have stated them, and it really is harmful the relationship between you and your parents...BUT the other one is YOUR insecurity in dealing with authority, and you're too weak to stand up for yourself.

So if you haven't talked to them about this...now would be the time. If you have already...now would be a good time to go back over your reasoning, and see if you can't discover THEIR reasoning for a better understanding.

If you're not ready to discuss these things with your parents....frankly...you're not ready to turn this religion down. You have no grounds on which to stand...and fighting things like this without some type of understanding of where YOU are coming from will only lead you into a dark room with closed doors. No answers. No understanding. No improvement.

I'm not saying that you HAVE TO BE JEWISH because you're parents make you...but you have to be SOMETHING to yourself before you can say that you're officially NOT something else. Otherwise...you don't even know, and there's not really any reason for your parents to heed anything you say.

Teenagers go through phases, so, to your parents...what makes this any different?

^They need that explination...and so do you.
Make sure you're ready.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
11-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose r smelly View Post

Discuss.
Forcing is bad and any parent that forces an unprovable belief on a child should be thrown in jail. Sharing and trying to influence a child's beliefs are still wrong IMO but I guess they have a right to do that. Children shouldn't have to go to church if they don't want to and they shouldn't have to do any other bullcrap that comes along with certain religions that appear to only exist to kill innocent children through boredom. Hopefully you will prevail through this oppression you are being confronted with. May the Force be with you.

TMNT
`NthErik.
Amokläufer
Subtract from `NthErik.'s ReputationAdd to `NthErik.'s Reputation `NthErik. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to `NthErik.
11-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Hulk View Post
Forcing is bad and any parent that forces an unprovable belief on a child should be thrown in jail. Sharing and trying to influence a child's beliefs are still wrong IMO but I guess they have a right to do that. Children shouldn't have to go to church if they don't want to and they shouldn't have to do any other bullcrap that comes along with certain religions that appear to only exist to kill innocent children through boredom. Hopefully you will prevail through this oppression you are being confronted with. May the Force be with you.

TMNT
I completely agree with Darth Hulk.

This happened to me too, for a little while. I used to go to this after-school Catholic education thing. One day in class I just got pissed and said "F*CK JESUS", so I was expelled. Sometimes you need to take extreme measures to get your point across.

Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
11-22-2006

See...if your parents are ignoring you, and forcing you to go to church and stuff anyway....then yes ^^ those ideas may be necessary, and if you feel threatened, I would encourage their use.

But, just to clarify, the point I was trying to make was that you could be doing this because you've never said anything about it before, and you could just be complaining to us for advice. So my advice is to talk with your parents about it first, if you have not done so. If you have gotten in serious trouble before, parents like to think that church will help you learn from your mistakes...even if you have talked to them about it. And really...if you've gotten in major trouble...you could use the benefit of a distraction from your "normal" routine, even if to bore you for an hour.

I'm not saying that all of that is OK...I'm just trying to explain their stance...for a better understanding, if nothing else. You simply have to recognize these things, point them out to your parents in a logical fashion...and hopefully they don't go crazy. Some parents flip...some don't. (And when they flip it's usually just a bunch of yelling...cause they're idiots.)

But either way...I hope it works out well.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
BOMB
The Notorious B.O.M.B
Subtract from BOMB's ReputationAdd to BOMB's Reputation BOMB is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BOMB
11-30-2006

all i can say is dont turn your beliefs around no matter what they are because some ppl on a website said to.
10/18/07

B O M B