Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
SPDRMaYnE !
Level 28
Subtract from SPDRMaYnE !'s ReputationAdd to SPDRMaYnE !'s Reputation SPDRMaYnE ! is a novice
12-25-2006
Default To Everyone who Reads the Bible...

...How much of it do you take/interpret literally? For me, I have a saying. "If the literal sense makes good sense, use no other sense unless you come up with nonsense."

This is a question for Christians and Non-Christians who have read at least some of the Bible.

The Space of Mine That I Own Personally
DIGIMON IS COOL

Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb
TriaD III
Level 14
Subtract from TriaD III's ReputationAdd to TriaD III's Reputation TriaD III is a novice
12-25-2006

Christians take some parts literally, and some metaphorically.

Basically, they can pick and choose which parts they think are literal and metaphorical
"...atheism is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'non-astrologer' or a 'non-alchemist.' We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle."
-Sam Harris
`NthErik.
Amokläufer
Subtract from `NthErik.'s ReputationAdd to `NthErik.'s Reputation `NthErik. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to `NthErik.
12-25-2006

Dude, I think you take Spider man way too literally.

Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
12-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by `NthErik. View Post
There are worse things to take literally.

TMNT
SPDRMaYnE !
Level 28
Subtract from SPDRMaYnE !'s ReputationAdd to SPDRMaYnE !'s Reputation SPDRMaYnE ! is a novice
12-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by `NthErik. View Post
I take your mom literally. In the ass. lololololololololololololol!!!!!111

But enough with crappy comebacks,

The Space of Mine That I Own Personally
DIGIMON IS COOL

Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-26-2006

Christians have the liberty of being able to make sh*t up along the way. How can you call it legitimate if you pick and choose what you want to take seriously and what you don't?

Elmo <3
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Christians have the liberty of being able to make sh*t up along the way. How can you call it legitimate if you pick and choose what you want to take seriously and what you don't?
Exactly. The idea that you are able to pick-and-choose what you take literally is absolutely absurd. I think the Bible is nothing more than a fairy tale, and a pretty shitty one at that. I mean, for fuck's sake, J.R.R. Tolkien was not only able to tell a better story, with better moral messages, but he did it much better. Not to mention the fact that he handled continuity better, too.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
12-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
...How much of it do you take/interpret literally? For me, I have a saying. "If the literal sense makes good sense, use no other sense unless you come up with nonsense."

This is a question for Christians and Non-Christians who have read at least some of the Bible.
I've always taken the Bible for what it is (except when I was young...I didn't really like the Bible), and that is an Eye-witness account.

The Bible, essentially, is made up of 66 books that tell one of 3 things:

-A first-hand account to a major event in history (Ie: The first four books of the new testament talk about Jesus's existence.)
-An opinion from a single person to an entire group of people. (1st & 2nd Corinthians are letters to the people of Corinth from Paul, I think. Could be wrong about the author, though.)
-Or it's a description of a dream. (Ie: Revalation)

All of these are open to interpretation...and I think some people get too caught up in the "literal" sense of the Bible. It's meant to be a book of hope that tells us how we can deal with problems that we face in life. It's not a scientific evidence keeper that tells us everything about how life works.

Basically...the idea is this: "Believe the way the Bible believes...live the way the Bible tells you to live...and you will reap the benefits that the Bible explains."

The second part to take into consideration is the fact that it is history.
Not only in the sense that it was written so long ago...but the fact that it's text has survived to modern times...and the fact that it's still making such a huge impact on the world that we live in today...it really is a part of history. American history, at the very least.

The point of the book is to be a guide...not the all-telling, all-knowing book of the universe. It was written by PEOPLE...not God (eventhough he may or may not have inspired it...the point is that 66 people [actually...less than that. Some books are from the same author as another, or have an unknown author.] came together with a common approach to life, and this was their result.)

Take it or leave it...but think about this:

Imagine that you and 12 buddies got together to write a book. Basically...in that book, you tell all of the things you saw, heard, smelt, thought, imgagined, experienced, etc. while you were alive...here in America. You included songs (Psalms), famous quotes (Proverbs), and even a few letters (like the one from MLK while he was in jail --> Corinthians) from this time period.

From here...you can either go back a couple thousand years...or go forward a couple thousand years using a time machine...or your book could be popular enough to sell hundreds of thousands of copies across the globe.

With a gap of a few thousand years...lets see if they don't consider YOUR story to be a fairy tale, no matter it's purpose.

Just something to think about.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-28-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal View Post
I've always taken the Bible for what it is (except when I was young...I didn't really like the Bible), and that is an Eye-witness account.

The Bible, essentially, is made up of 66 books that tell one of 3 things:

-A first-hand account to a major event in history (Ie: The first four books of the new testament talk about Jesus's existence.)
-An opinion from a single person to an entire group of people. (1st & 2nd Corinthians are letters to the people of Corinth from Paul, I think. Could be wrong about the author, though.)
-Or it's a description of a dream. (Ie: Revalation)

All of these are open to interpretation...and I think some people get too caught up in the "literal" sense of the Bible. It's meant to be a book of hope that tells us how we can deal with problems that we face in life. It's not a scientific evidence keeper that tells us everything about how life works.

Basically...the idea is this: "Believe the way the Bible believes...live the way the Bible tells you to live...and you will reap the benefits that the Bible explains."

The second part to take into consideration is the fact that it is history.
Not only in the sense that it was written so long ago...but the fact that it's text has survived to modern times...and the fact that it's still making such a huge impact on the world that we live in today...it really is a part of history. American history, at the very least.

The point of the book is to be a guide...not the all-telling, all-knowing book of the universe. It was written by PEOPLE...not God (eventhough he may or may not have inspired it...the point is that 66 people [actually...less than that. Some books are from the same author as another, or have an unknown author.] came together with a common approach to life, and this was their result.)

Take it or leave it...but think about this:

Imagine that you and 12 buddies got together to write a book. Basically...in that book, you tell all of the things you saw, heard, smelt, thought, imgagined, experienced, etc. while you were alive...here in America. You included songs (Psalms), famous quotes (Proverbs), and even a few letters (like the one from MLK while he was in jail --> Corinthians) from this time period.

From here...you can either go back a couple thousand years...or go forward a couple thousand years using a time machine...or your book could be popular enough to sell hundreds of thousands of copies across the globe.

With a gap of a few thousand years...lets see if they don't consider YOUR story to be a fairy tale, no matter it's purpose.

Just something to think about.
And yet the Bible is usually VERY clear about what it says. There's no getting around the fact that Christians have the liberty of choosing what they feel should be taken seriously out of that book. You believe that the Bible is less strict than it seems; that view is no more valid that the opposing view of Bible purism.

Elmo <3
rustic mongoose
uber n00b (level 2)
Subtract from rustic mongoose's ReputationAdd to rustic mongoose's Reputation rustic mongoose is a novice
12-28-2006

alot of the bible you have to look at in the context with the contemporary time that it is written