Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Prancer II
In the gym
Subtract from Prancer II's ReputationAdd to Prancer II's Reputation Prancer II is on the rise to fame Prancer II is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Prancer II
10-25-2006
Default An Apology from a Christian to you.

Please take the time to not only read the words I have to say, but to muse on them and truly understand what I am meaning.

Some of you may know that I am a 'hardcore' Christian. Thats the only adjective I can think of this moment to convay (sp I know) my own conviction of devotion to God.

. . . I'm sorry for the fallacy that some Christian groups are, I'm sorry for the immorality of the Catholic popes, I'm sorry for outspoken conservative Christian would disrupt the natural process of society, I'm sorry for the Bible thumper that walks past in your school halls with glares of disdain, I'm sorry for the misrepresented zeal that that looks you in the eyes and tells you that your going to Hell, I'm sorry for the distortion of Scripture that has caused death and suffering of those not deserving of it . . .

The message that Jesus brought WAS of love, and unity, and peace. Being a TRUE Christian is about having a relatioship with God, knowing the love her has for you, and loving Him in return by serving Him. Serving Him constitutes obey simple morals truths and loving other people. Thats it, if you see the love that God has for me, and the love that I have for Him, and the way life is when one operates in that, and you want that . . . then loving Him is your choice. My only mandate by God in the Bible is to OFFER you what I have. Christian have tried to FORCE people to love God. I'm sorry if this is the only type or represetation of a Christian you've had in your life.

I'm sorry. God didn't want to be portrayed the way He has been in the past centuries since His Son came.

Ephesians 4:1,2
1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have [Christians] received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Pual is not talking about intra-Christian relations, he was covering all relations here.

Christianity is about two things: Loving God and loving people.
---

Two Month Progress Pictures
Page 636

---
KaLi
Level 14
Subtract from KaLi's ReputationAdd to KaLi's Reputation KaLi is a novice
10-25-2006

Don't apologize. Those aren't the reasons I let go of God.

Christianity may be about loving God and people, but life is much more than just love.
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLi View Post
Don't apologize. Those aren't the reasons I let go of God.

Christianity may be about loving God and people, but life is much more than just love.
I don't think he's apologizing for your choice.

He's apologizing for the effects that some of those types of Christians have had...possibly encouraging you in your choice.

Ultimately...we're all sinners...so we all screw up.
Sometimes...someone in a position of a "higher" or "holy-er" power screws up...and it makes the whole community look bad.......and he's apologizing for the fact that they screwed up in front of you.

It's not a good representation of what we're supposed to stand for...so I have to say that I agree with him.

I'm sorry we have a couple nutcases who don't really understand the concept of loving others, and representing the love of the Lord.
What else can we do BUT apologize?

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal771 View Post

He's apologizing for the effects that some of those types of Christians have had...possibly encouraging you in your choice.

Sometimes...someone in a position of a "higher" or "holy-er" power screws up...and it makes the whole community look bad.......and he's apologizing for the fact that they screwed up in front of you.

It's not a good representation of what we're supposed to stand for...so I have to say that I agree with him.

I'm sorry we have a couple nutcases who don't really understand the concept of loving others, and representing the love of the Lord.
Apologizing accomplishes nothing except put both the non-Christians and the "proper acting" Christians in the mind frame that the "improper acting" Christians are crazy. While I enjoy labeling certain Christians as moronic buffoons, this does nothing but satisfy my desire for conflict. What you should be doing instead of apologizing or at least in conjunction with it is to do something about changing it. If you can't do that then you don't need to apologize because it's out of your control. You can still apologize if you think it makes us feel better and want to acknowledge that you are trying to solve the issue, but if you aren't doing anything except saying that you're sorry, then your apology is meaningless.

TMNT
KaLi
Level 14
Subtract from KaLi's ReputationAdd to KaLi's Reputation KaLi is a novice
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal771 View Post

I know he's not apologizing for my choice. He is apologizing for the negative images I may have gotten from Christians. And that is all daez is doing, apologizing. It helps no one.

His post is a waste.

Last edited by KaLi; 10-26-2006 at 12:55 PM.
tommytiddles
Level 26
Subtract from tommytiddles's ReputationAdd to tommytiddles's Reputation tommytiddles is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tommytiddles
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Hulk View Post
What you should be doing instead of apologizing or at least in conjunction with it is to do something about changing it.
Christians with the witness God desires from them will be more concerned in maintaining their own witness, rather than criticising other Christians witnesses.

H3F Lego Turf

Recorded by RVideo

Hello, How may I be of service to you?
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytiddles View Post
Christians with the witness God desires from them will be more concerned in maintaining their own witness, rather than criticising other Christians witnesses.
But to be a false witness is a crime by most religions.

Now that I've thought of the definition of witness, I don't understand the concept. Without some sort of direct contact with da' big G, how does one witness for Him? You can be a witness for the existance of a book, but that only allows you to verify the existance of the book, and to present the concepts it sets forth. It does not give you the right to tell those who disagrees with it that it is the ultimate truth.

Criticism promotes reflection and thought. Both are very desirable things.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
tommytiddles
Level 26
Subtract from tommytiddles's ReputationAdd to tommytiddles's Reputation tommytiddles is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tommytiddles
10-26-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
But to be a false witness is a crime by most religions.

Now that I've thought of the definition of witness, I don't understand the concept. Without some sort of direct contact with da' big G, how does one witness for Him? You can be a witness for the existance of a book, but that only allows you to verify the existance of the book, and to present the concepts it sets forth. It does not give you the right to tell those who disagrees with it that it is the ultimate truth.

Criticism promotes reflection and thought. Both are very desirable things.

True, the bible says ''Don't have a false witness'' or something along those lines. But Christians are taught to try and not to judge others by what they do and who they are, Christians are told to let the ''big G'' handle it appropraitely. What the book says tells us how to witness for him. Verses that spring to mind are things like ''Put no other Gods before me''. ''Love your neighbour as yourself''. The concepts it sets fourth are those delievered by God. The bible is like a link between God and man. Thats the best way I can try to explain it. Sorry if not helping..

H3F Lego Turf

Recorded by RVideo

Hello, How may I be of service to you?
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
11-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Hulk View Post
Apologizing accomplishes nothing except put both the non-Christians and the "proper acting" Christians in the mind frame that the "improper acting" Christians are crazy. While I enjoy labeling certain Christians as moronic buffoons, this does nothing but satisfy my desire for conflict. What you should be doing instead of apologizing or at least in conjunction with it is to do something about changing it. If you can't do that then you don't need to apologize because it's out of your control. You can still apologize if you think it makes us feel better and want to acknowledge that you are trying to solve the issue, but if you aren't doing anything except saying that you're sorry, then your apology is meaningless.

TMNT
I know I'm bumping an old thread...but I just happened to be browsing around, and I found something that I needed to respond to.

FYI...I HAVE been trying to do something about the crazy Christians. I agree with his apology because those are the kinds that keep people from understanding our position: Jesus has saved us out of his love and grace.

If you have seen me get on to Revalation or any of the other over-zealous, Christian dudes who come in just to spout their rediculous babble...you'd know that I really AM working in that fashion that you speak.

Those crazies give me and the rest of the brothers and sisters a terrible name, which in turn, makes it VERY hard for us to spread the good news. So yeah...I apologize that you've had to deal with those idiots before. I would ask that you recognize my apology as a dividing line between those of us who TRUELY enact the Christian principles of loving others, and those who merely wear a facade to keep from being discovered as a phoney...even if it is only in your own, mental capacity.

I'm not asking you to just shut up and listen to us...but I AM asking you recognize a difference between the two kinds of people before you start judging their arguments.

Because it sucks being ignorantly grouped with the wrong people, we apologize to draw that line.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
11-30-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal View Post
I know I'm bumping an old thread...but I just happened to be browsing around, and I found something that I needed to respond to.

FYI...I HAVE been trying to do something about the crazy Christians. I agree with his apology because those are the kinds that keep people from understanding our position: Jesus has saved us out of his love and grace.

If you have seen me get on to Revalation or any of the other over-zealous, Christian dudes who come in just to spout their rediculous babble...you'd know that I really AM working in that fashion that you speak.

Those crazies give me and the rest of the brothers and sisters a terrible name, which in turn, makes it VERY hard for us to spread the good news. So yeah...I apologize that you've had to deal with those idiots before. I would ask that you recognize my apology as a dividing line between those of us who TRUELY enact the Christian principles of loving others, and those who merely wear a facade to keep from being discovered as a phoney...even if it is only in your own, mental capacity.

I'm not asking you to just shut up and listen to us...but I AM asking you recognize a difference between the two kinds of people before you start judging their arguments.

Because it sucks being ignorantly grouped with the wrong people, we apologize to draw that line.
The last line of that post is why I find your apologies worthless. You don't apologize while the bad stuff is still going on, apologize when it stops. I realize that it may not be in your power to stop it, and hence you don't need to say sorry.

TMNT