Halo 2 Forum > News & Announcements > THF News, Support & Help Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
06-13-2014

You need admincp access, at the very least.
Spoiler!
Havey
Californication
Subtract from Havey's ReputationAdd to Havey's Reputation Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Havey
06-13-2014

We won't be able to update anything vBulletin wise with just admin access will we? I'm not super familiar with vBulletin, so I'm not sure.

And does anyone on the forum, excluding Z, have access to that?
Titanium
an attractive implication
Subtract from Titanium's ReputationAdd to Titanium's Reputation Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Titanium
06-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausy View Post
I agree with everything you posted in the OP. I can't speak too much on the VIP section since I wouldn't ever get access there haha. I've been around since the beginning of '08 though (couldn't get my old account to work) so I've seen the ups and downs to this site a little bit. I believe with the MCC on it's way, that we have a good chance to put this site on the map, so to speak. Not to say the smaller community is bad though, because I like it. A new banner is a must though. Because I really dislike the current one.
Thanks man. Glad to have you here. I hope that MCC will bring back a form of community that we haven't had in a while. It will be cool to see the halo sections more alive than they have been in years. New banners are a good idea, I like what B posted even though that's almost no work. Give him some time and see what he comes up with. Davo can implement them into his new skin and work on it as he sees fit.

@Davo: Would it be possible to have a skin ready so if we get access to changing it it's easy to plug in to the forum? Or is this something you're going to have work on solely when you have access to thf internally?

AIM: Eh titanium

davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
06-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havey View Post
We won't be able to update anything vBulletin wise with just admin access will we? I'm not super familiar with vBulletin, so I'm not sure.

And does anyone on the forum, excluding Z, have access to that?
I'm not sure if vBulletin can bootstrap update itself in a live environment or if it needs to be done on the server end. Some forums software can do it, some can't. Either way, it will take some doing to prepare (backups, mostly).

Titanium, using scss I can get a skin fairly to process, as I still have access to read the site's css (obviously), and I can assign variables and program logic which is impossible in regular css. I can probably get it as far as being ready to find/replace to rename divs (etc.) as needed and dropping it in.

But if we're being realistic, Z isn't going to sell the site, and he probably isn't going to want to let me at it.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 06-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
06-13-2014

You'll be able to theme most things with just admincp access. Any images you intend to use (which should be limited since most browsers now support css3) will need to be hosted off-server. An example would be the banner.

The first step is getting admincp access, and RVid can't provision it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
I'm not sure if vBulletin can bootstrap update itself in a live environment or if it needs to be done on the server end. Some forums software can do it, some can't. Either way, it will take some doing to prepare (backups, mostly).
VBulletin has an update script that can be run on a live environment. With that said, I would never do it that way.

Quote:
Titanium, using scss I can get a skin fairly to process, as I still have access to read the site's css (obviously), and I can assign variables and program logic which is impossible in regular css. I can probably get it as far as being ready to find/replace to rename divs (etc.) as needed and dropping it in.
Fancy talk to someone who doesn't know what that means, but scss isn't processed by browsers. It's compiled into css by a sass tool, typically done from a ruby environment or via a compiler application. Unless you really know what you're doing, scss isn't going to save you a lot of time. Just saying.

Quote:
But if we're being realistic, Z isn't going to sell the site, and he probably isn't going to want to let me at it.
This is the first hurdle.

Last edited by Nv1ncible; 06-13-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Titanium
Subtract from Titanium's ReputationAdd to Titanium's Reputation Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000
06-13-2014

Quote:

I bet z will sell. It's just whether his price is too high. Hopefully he sees the truth in what we have here and he doesn't want our arms and legs for it.

We care about this place and keeping it alive, he doesn't. It's time for him to sell, I think he knows that

davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
06-13-2014

I would replace most hosted images with data URIs. Bonus is cutting down on the ridiculous number of HTTP requests (front page has almost 40), which would drastically cut down on page load times. It also doesn't look like the site's using gzip, which is...well, there's pretty much no reason not to. Normally, data URIs can also be put in their own stylesheet, so any wait for that to load will not affect loading the rest of the site css, and to avoid having to redownload them every page load. Not sure if vB allows this.
Spoiler!
Titanium
06-13-2014

Quote:
I would replace most hosted images with data URIs. Bonus is cutting down on the ridiculous number of HTTP requests (front page has almost 40), which would drastically cut down on page load times. It also doesn't look like the site's using gzip, which is...well, there's pretty much no reason not to. Normally, data URIs can also be put in their own stylesheet, so any wait for that to load will not affect loading the rest of the site css, and to avoid having to redownload them every page load. Not sure if vB allows this.
I can't wait to upgrade. Seems like the simplest thing will make this place run so much smoother and user friendly

Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
06-13-2014

Quote:
Enabling gzip typically requires definitions in .htaccess if you're using apache (which this site is not btw). Nginx requires a definition in the nginx.conf file (or subsequent server blocks). Either way, server access required.

Data URI's are a good idea though.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
06-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv1ncible View Post

Fancy talk to someone who doesn't know what that means, but scss isn't processed by browsers. It's compiled into css by a sass tool, typically done from a ruby environment or via a compiler application. Unless you really know what you're doing, scss isn't going to save you a lot of time. Just saying.
I was shortening it for titty, but yeah, I'd basically write it up and have it ready to get ids and classes pasted in, go through preprocessor, and have the compiled css put in vB.

The slapped-together theme I've been tossing around is actually scss that I compile and load into Stylish. I mostly use it because it's easy to fuck with colors that way. I've added shit to it since then in just the css, but between variables and the super awesome nesting, scss saves a lot of busywork.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 06-13-2014 at 11:14 AM.