Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Terefall
Level 28
Subtract from Terefall's ReputationAdd to Terefall's Reputation Terefall is a novice
02-28-2010
Default Should Religion be kept in society even if it's not true?

Personally, I believe it should. I believe that humanity needs the moral code set in place by the bible to survive.
Although scientific evidence for a God isn't adding up, I think that the moral code should stay in place, regardless of scientific evidence.
Perhaps religion should be like a Santa Claus, when people are old enough the will discover that it isn't real.
Elaboration?
mixcloud.com/vinegar
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terefall View Post
Personally, I believe it should. I believe that humanity needs the moral code set in place by the bible to survive.
Although scientific evidence for a God isn't adding up, I think that the moral code should stay in place, regardless of scientific evidence.
Perhaps religion should be like a Santa Claus, when people are old enough the will discover that it isn't real.
Elaboration?
morals don't exist because of religion

moral codes were created because it was necessary to civilize, like the creation of a uniform language among a people

besides the bible isn't all that moral anyways
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
Cynic
Bored Stiff
Subtract from Cynic's ReputationAdd to Cynic's Reputation Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000 Cynic IS OVER 9000
02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mike View Post
morals don't exist because of religion
Mhmm

We have morals because we are social creatures.

Being White
Level 39
Subtract from Being White's ReputationAdd to Being White's Reputation Being White is a novice
02-28-2010

Sooooooo

You want Morals to be kept in society, not religion. Just correcting you there sir.

Last edited by Being White; 02-28-2010 at 10:58 PM.
ZeroLawl
Level 19
Subtract from ZeroLawl's ReputationAdd to ZeroLawl's Reputation ZeroLawl is a novice
02-28-2010

well
because the world came from one big random explosion...
and everything came from nothing.
scientific evidence . ha
and i go on a killing spree
like im playing halo 3
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terefall View Post
Elaboration?
Ethics and morals existed since the beginning of a social group; it wasn't contingent on the Bible. The Bible is just a copy-cat-aggregator to form a larger perspective.

No one needed - nor do they need now, any instruction from the Bible to be an ethical human being -- experience is rife within countless other walks of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post
The bible has stimulated moral upbringings though, so that's a positive for it.
Yeah, and about any other 'positive' thing. I think it'd be foolish to give that much credit to a holy book.

I think it should be better worded with what we know and don't, not what is 'true'.

Segregate/uniform religion is irrelevant and archaic to the advancement of our social species and provides nothing that cannot be fostered in other things of life.

Last edited by McDevy; 02-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.
McDevy
Soshified
02-28-2010

Quote:
Fine then, it has helped impress morals into people. Which, is a fair enough thing depending on what morals you hold.
Yeah, and any other indoctrinating document does exactly the same thing, if compared in the context of this positive sense.

It's quite an obvious thing to say that doesn't move the conversation forward.

The Bible isn't needed to teach people how to be upstanding citizens, more like denizens.

Banging our heads against the evolutionary wall has given us that.
McDevy
Soshified
02-28-2010

Quote:
This is the last time I try playing Devil's advocate (no pun intended) in this sub-forum.
Yeah, I'm sure you were...

Quote:
Stop pointing out the flaw in a post that agrees/clarifies =(.
I don't agree, I think you're moronic.

Quote:
It has helped.
So has anything.

Quote:
wut

Please restate that for me.
Society fundamentally works these things out. Experimentation and incentive will always provide the workaround. A book that scares people with unsubstantiated wrist slapping and condemnation isn't going to really teach anyone anything they can apply to their own lives.
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
02-28-2010

do you agree with me?
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
McDevy
Soshified
02-28-2010

Quote: