Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Newgy
Level 41
Subtract from Newgy's ReputationAdd to Newgy's Reputation Newgy is a novice
04-08-2006

I think that Apes are closer related to humans because of their forearm and "hand-like" structured bones...

Here is something that has kind of bothered me lately. First I want to say that I am not Pro-God nor Anti-God, but more nuetral at the moment. But My question revolves around evolution being taught in the public school system.

In many public school systems, the study of religions is not allowed because it can be a violation to people having the right to not have their freedom of religion, and that it could incriminate their beliefs. I know that in my state, and in my school, we only study Evolution, but not other beliefs at all. Many religions do not believe in the Evolution from Apes and/or whatnot, but rather having a "creator" aka God (or however you refer to him) or a supernatural force.

If they are allowed to teach Evolution (which in many aspects, is just another belief system), then why are they not supposed to bring up the other beliefs? Isn't this a biased system if they are only accepting what the the scientists believe and not what others may believe? And on top of that, to make it a requirement to graduate out of High School to understand the information (it is a Benchmark in Oregon).

Although Evolution is a theory, based on factual evidence. There are no concrete evidence that proves that this is how it happened rather than it being just a very similar difference that only happened by coincidence. What allows them teach this "religion" or "belief" if they do not the others. Is it because they have to bring in books such as the bible or the quran that are not as easy to understand as others? Or is it for other reasons...

I brought this information up in my IB Biology class the other day while we were talking about it being taught in schools. And the teacher goes, "It isn't a belief system, it is a theory and it is not an opinon, the evidence proves that it is a true thing that happens." But later states, "I am not allowed to share my personal beliefs in the classroom."

I find it rather annoying of the arrogance of the public school system and what seems to be their Bias.

S t o p . T h i n k . P o s t .

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
04-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgy
I think that Apes are closer related to humans because of their forearm and "hand-like" structured bones...

Here is something that has kind of bothered me lately. First I want to say that I am not Pro-God nor Anti-God, but more nuetral at the moment. But My question revolves around evolution being taught in the public school system.

In many public school systems, the study of religions is not allowed because it can be a violation to people having the right to not have their freedom of religion, and that it could incriminate their beliefs. I know that in my state, and in my school, we only study Evolution, but not other beliefs at all. Many religions do not believe in the Evolution from Apes and/or whatnot, but rather having a "creator" aka God (or however you refer to him) or a supernatural force.

If they are allowed to teach Evolution (which in many aspects, is just another belief system), then why are they not supposed to bring up the other beliefs? Isn't this a biased system if they are only accepting what the the scientists believe and not what others may believe? And on top of that, to make it a requirement to graduate out of High School to understand the information (it is a Benchmark in Oregon).

Although Evolution is a theory, based on factual evidence. There are no concrete evidence that proves that this is how it happened rather than it being just a very similar difference that only happened by coincidence. What allows them teach this "religion" or "belief" if they do not the others. Is it because they have to bring in books such as the bible or the quran that are not as easy to understand as others? Or is it for other reasons...

I brought this information up in my IB Biology class the other day while we were talking about it being taught in schools. And the teacher goes, "It isn't a belief system, it is a theory and it is not an opinon, the evidence proves that it is a true thing that happens." But later states, "I am not allowed to share my personal beliefs in the classroom."

I find it rather annoying of the arrogance of the public school system and what seems to be their Bias.
Ok well here is the difference.

99.9% of the evidence supports the theories involved in evolution. Evolution is self cannot be denied. It just happened. But the mechanisms that have been proposed are still supported by 99.9% of every piece of evidence out there.

The other theories do not even have that .1%. They must split it up between them all.

All of Chemistry, biology, geology and math support Evolution. Anything else is for the rest of the theories out there.

Personally I do not discredit any theory made. I do not think that we should put all of our eggs in one basket and all but when it smells like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. Guess what. . we are monkeys.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
PhilliesPhan
Auld Lang Syne
Subtract from PhilliesPhan's ReputationAdd to PhilliesPhan's Reputation PhilliesPhan is a novice
Send a message via AIM to PhilliesPhan
04-12-2006

Check this link out.

They've practically found the missing link.
Mobb was here.
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
04-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan
Check this link out.

They've practically found the missing link.

I have major issues when people use terms like "missing link", that insinuates that evolution is linear and it isn't. That is a term that is far out of date. Just the fact that this publication is using it makes me think less of them.

This doesn't prove anything, it just adds more information to what we already know.

Good find though, I am guessing it is the rift valley again. It is an area in Africa where the continents are being pulled apart and strata is constantly being exposed where we find great fossils. Just happens to be where humans evolved too so we get most of our data from there.

There is way more info from that excavation area, I don't know why they are publishing this now. We have had this info for a long time.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

MarkedAchilles
04-28-2006

Well I have some time on my hands right now so I thought I would ressurect this and move beyond the theory of evolution and delve into human evolution.

Here is the closest thing we have to the common ancestor between humans and chimps. If anything it is closer related to chimps than us.

http://www.sahelanthropus.com/

It was found in chad, not to far from the other three major sites of human excavation and study going on there in Africa. Molecular studies of us and chimps puts our divergence from theirs at around 6 million years ago. Sahelanthropus is a hominid of sorts that existed at that time and has a great deal of ape in him still, to put it bluntly.

Next to one of our most recent relatives, not a direct descendent but a cousin if you will the neanderthals. They were at their peak 100,000 years ago and had culture, tools, burial practices, art, music, and there is evidence of a religous entity in their remains. Meaning, they recognized a god of sorts.

http://www.indiana.edu/~origins/teac...s.neander.html

The human evolution was not a straight line either. It was incredibly bushy and had many dead ends such as the Neanderthals. Our specific line was most likely the third migration out of Africa of the ones we have evidence for. Genetically we are all african because of this and that we have not had time enough to develop differences genetically from those early humans.

I Kasutera I
Level 24
Subtract from I Kasutera I's ReputationAdd to I Kasutera I's Reputation I Kasutera I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to I Kasutera I
05-04-2006

Hey guess what retards? We EVOLVED from apes..........get over it. If you're some religious nut who seriously thinks the devil put fossils in the ground to fool us, that Noah kept a male and female T-rex on his Ark, and that humans have no relationship to other primates..............do us all a favor and ride out the coming Apocalypse in your decrepit Y2K bunker.
I Kasutera I
Level 24
Subtract from I Kasutera I's ReputationAdd to I Kasutera I's Reputation I Kasutera I is a novice
05-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass
OK, first of all, take it easy. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, and you honestly don't have to be a dick about it.
No you're not entitled to your "opinion" about evolution. Just like you're not entitled to an "opinion" on whether or not the Earth is flat or whether the Sun goes around the Earth or vice versa.
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
05-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Kasutera I
No you're not entitled to your "opinion" about evolution. Just like you're not entitled to an "opinion" on whether or not the Earth is flat or whether the Sun goes around the Earth or vice versa.
With the way you're acting, you shouldn't be entitled to post.

I actually do think that the Earth IS flat, and that the entire universe revolves around it. You going to yell at me about it?

Go ahead. I dare you. Flame me.
Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
I Kasutera I
Level 24
05-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeH 3quivocat0r
With the way you're acting, you shouldn't be entitled to post.

I actually do think that the Earth IS flat, and that the entire universe revolves around it. You going to yell at me about it?

Go ahead. I dare you. Flame me.
I would flame you, but I know you don't honestly believe that. I don't care if people think I'm pig-headed about evolution...........because I am..........so what? What if someone came up to you and said, "Gravity doesn't exist"? You would let them be "entitled" to that opinion? Give me a break.
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
05-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Kasutera I
I would flame you, but I know you don't honestly believe that. I don't care if people think I'm pig-headed about evolution...........because I am..........so what? What if someone came up to you and said, "Gravity doesn't exist"? You would let them be "entitled" to that opinion? Give me a break.
The point is you being 'pig-headed' about it does nothing but make you look like an ass. It's great that you're strong in your view, and that your view is correct. However, you accomplish absolutely nothing by just attacking people like that. I saw your post in another thread where you wrote a very long post and elaborated on everything. It still seemed slightly pompus, but that's ok, because it was a great post.

If all of yours were like that, there'd be no problem. Attacking people does nothing.

Speaking of gravity, really that's a bullshit theory. They say the reason has to do with the Earth having more mass, but that's wrong. The Earth is flat, and is constantly accelerating in our direction "up", creating a false sense of "gravity" seeing that the Earth is increasing speed into our feet.

Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*