Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
y4n3r5
Level 34
Subtract from y4n3r5's ReputationAdd to y4n3r5's Reputation y4n3r5 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to y4n3r5
03-22-2006

Any slightly educated person should recognize that the evidence of evolution is overwhelming, and that it should be accepted as a logical explanation for human origin.
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by y4n3r5
Any slightly educated person should recognize that the evidence of evolution is overwhelming, and that it should be accepted as a logical explanation for human origin.
Holy crap, sensical Yanners. I really do picture you as Dr. Jekkel and Mr. Hyde.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by y4n3r5
You forgot the word "Possible"...

"...should be accepted as a POSSIBLE, logical explination..."

...Because it's not proven, it's still theory.

Although no one can deny that evolution, in certain areas, is completely logical...it's not fact.

But Achilles is right man...you're fucked up. Lol. Kidding.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal771
You forgot the word "Possible"...

"...should be accepted as a POSSIBLE, logical explination..."

...Because it's not proven, it's still theory.

Although no one can deny that evolution, in certain areas, is completely logical...it's not fact.

But Achilles is right man...you're fucked up. Lol. Kidding.
Evolution is not in question. It happens. It is the methods that are in debate right now.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles
Evolution is not in question. It happens. It is the methods that are in debate right now.
I thought that is what I was saying...but that is definatley more specific than my wording.

I meant it's only in theory as far as the origin of man and using evolution to answer questions like that.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
MarkedAchilles
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal771
I thought that is what I was saying...but that is definatley more specific than my wording.

I meant it's only in theory as far as the origin of man and using evolution to answer questions like that.
Kinda.

We know where man came from. The mechanism of his arrival is the question. Allopatric, peripatric, sympatric speciation would be some of the questions. They could all be right or none, we don't know yet.

RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
03-22-2006

You know, I happen to have the Ebook of Darwins Origin Of Species, although it is in Rocket Ebook format. Since I cant seem to convert it to another format that is 'open source', and if anyone wants to read it, I threw together this care package, that includes the Reader Software, a short video I made showing how to use it (brief), and a few other cool Rocket Ebooks as well for the hell of it.

Im not going to comment b/c I really have to read through this again, its been awhile (like 20+ years). So enjoy for anyone whose interested.

http://crystalstar.freeservers.com/a...embers_rar.rar

If you have any problems please PM me, as your message will undoubtedly bet buried on this thread kthx.
MarkedAchilles
03-22-2006

I would recommend reading Stephen J Gould over Darwin. Darwin got a lot of things wrong and is very boring.

Gould is a lot more exciting, a little bit funny, and very arrogant. But other than that every book is a great read. You don't even have to know a thing about science.

MarkedAchilles
03-27-2006

Oky doky. I have an hour to kill today.

Speciation:

Two main types. Many of the questions in this thread and others are why aren't there intermediate species and why don't humans evolve into something else. First off, no species we have found evolves in a perfect line. It jumps around all the time branching off mainly to its branches extinction.

The downfall of the earlier explanations of evolution and the examples put out by religious organizations are of linear evolution. Or allopatric speciation as we like to call it. This does happen and there are many, many examples of it. It is not always the case though and it is not a perfect line.

Species may change in drastic steps or very quickly. This is of course very quickly by a geological clock. Like 100,000 years is extremely fast for a new species to come into context.

These species arise from peripatric speciation, the second type. Where a large core group of species stays the same and a smaller group branches off to a new environment where most of the time it goes extinct in a short period of time. But in some cases that small branch succeeds such in the case of a species of bird colonizing an island or a plant species moving to a valley. This group of species will change very quickly as a small group adapting to its surroundings or grow very large and become what we call sucessfull. If it remains small and continues to change in the same method, picture leapfrogging from small niche to small niche, the evidence it leaves behind will be very small. But the changes will be large. It is going from different environment to different environment.

The outcome of that species is success, continue leapfrogging and possibly diverging into other species along the way, or extinction. This is the case in most lines of evolution where we don't have a good fossil record right now. We may have bits and pieces but 99.999% of the individuals out there do not leave fossils as it is and if your population is very small and you change quickly, your chance of finding a remnant is equally as small. Doesn't mean we never will find it, digging up the whole world is a big job and we have only recently started doing it.

So this awnsers why we haven't yet found fossils of every linneage we are studying. And why we as humans have not evolved into something else:

We are not that old.
We all live in the same environment and have no reason to change yet.

Also to emphasize a point, evolution does not mean we grow a third eyeball for no damm reason. There has to be a reason from the environment for the species as a whole to change. And advantage for that change and no competition from a species already with that change in that niche at that time.

MarkedAchilles
04-05-2006

Question for you guys:

What do you think Apes are closer related to? Gorillas or Humans.