Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
10-29-2014
Default Child Vaccinations

Ok, I need the help of those more informed than me. What do you all know about child vaccinations and is there really any reason NOT to have your child vaccinated? It's a topic I see going through my Facebook feed far too often and I'd like to get a better handle on the facts.

One of my very good friend's wife is a pediatrician and says that people that don't have their kids vaccinated are either highly misinformed or simply crazy.

Thoughts? Give me some good reading material.

Ps: There are no tiny Nv1's coming anytime soon. I just want to know what the scientific evidence says.
iDiesel
Level 37
Subtract from iDiesel's ReputationAdd to iDiesel's Reputation iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000 iDiesel IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to iDiesel
10-29-2014

One aspect of this issue is that's it's extremely selfish to not vaccinate your child. Not only are they at risk for serious infections, but because of that they put other people at risk of contracting the infection as well. Aside from other unvaccinated individuals, people that have received vaccines can also be at risk if their initial vaccination has worn off. This applies to vaccines where booster shots or a series of vaccinations are required. An important part of ridding the world/country/area is the establishment of "herd immunity", which occurs when the vast majority of the community is immune. This keeps instances of disease rare and prevents them from spreading and endangering everyone when they do pop up.

So, that's one side of it. The obvious side is that there is a very, very small chance of anything going awry with the vaccination, so not immunizing your child is just putting them in harm's way. I think anyone who has a fear of immunizing their child almost certainly has no idea how vaccines and immunity work, not to mention an irrational mistrust of modern medicine.
Grif55
Valar Morgulis
Subtract from Grif55's ReputationAdd to Grif55's Reputation Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Grif55
10-29-2014

In the early 2000's the a few antivaccine scientists found some evidence that vaccination may cause neurological disorders that were related particularly to autism. Later on their data was found out to be bullshit, but they assumed causation through correlation when the incidence of both autism and vaccinations rose dramatically in the 90's.

It's mainly news outlets faults though. They'll have some antivaccine people on all the time and then people (like my neighbor) who doesn't really know shit about vaccinations will get terrified and then her kids aren't getting vaccines this year. It's basically just uninformed people being nudged. I don't know a whole lot about it but the sciency people i've talked to think obviously advocate for the vaccines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00SEONTHEL00SE View Post
holy shit lahey, i never put it together

ive been watching trailer park boys for the last month and your avatar is jim lahey and your name is the big lahey. wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaTaNo View Post
Sometimes I wish I was white so I can embrace the neo-nazi culture. This movie was sick and these niggas put in work.

slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
10-30-2014

Mandatory vaccinations for children are now common practice in many countries. As it has been demonstrably proven that vaccination is effective, and more effective the more people are vaccinated (Novella. S, 2007).
There has always been resistance against vaccination in some way or another though (Offit, P. A., 2010). Since its implementation in the 19th century in Britain the anti-vax arguments have been based upon civil liberties; personal life choices and meddling with the parental protection of their children.
In that time medical practice didn't have the list of accomplishments it does now, yet this hasn't changed the fact that, even now, many people feel that their child(ren) should not be vaccinated.
Through the internet this movement, the Anti Vaccination Movement (AVM), has gained a platform where pseudoscience thrives, and so gained a lot of support. 'New Age' child raising ideas, anti-establishment attitudes and outdated or simply wrong medical information put together makes for very passionately protective parents.
One of the AVM movement’s main arguments for over a decade has been that some of the standard vaccinations cause Autism. It was investigated if the particular substance, which was said to have made children develop Autism, did anything of the sort. Not only is the substance at hand long since removed from all vaccinations, it has been proven that it did not cause Autism. The absence of a decline of Autism since the removal of the substance from the vaccines seems to support this claim. Yet this information is still continuously used as a scare ‘fact’ in AVM inspired books and lectures.
We seem to be at a tipping point where this movement’s size will make it gain some form of credibility, which is how the world seems to work these days.
The western world reacts with scorn when in some African country a Polio vaccine is believed to cause HIV. Yet we have similarly odd beliefs on the subject in our own society.
Parents in this movement are not just fools and hippies, it is normal for a parent to be inclined to worry about their children getting a syringe with a biological agent injected into their bodies. It is an aggressive act in that regard. This does not however, warrant paranoia.
A quick search on the web will turn up a plethora of deceases, if not all deceases known to man, which will harm or kill your child. Now most of these have been rejected by research but there are some real risks to getting vaccinated, however small.
The question is how parents equate this risk to letting their children be less capable of fighting off potentially deadly and still commonly present viruses is a leap most medical scientists find hard to understand. The medical community must stay watchful they do not become numb to these allegations; real problems with vaccinations may be overlooked if that becomes the case.

One of the more ‘new age’ ideologies is that a child should fight the deceases off naturally so he/she’ll become stronger and immune by her/himself.
Not only do you have to rely on your child’s strength of immune system, you also risk other children with weaker immune systems. Even when vaccinated, some children will be too weak to fight off an infection from an unvaccinated peer. Not vaccinating your child can thus weaken the ‘herd factor’; vaccinations are most effective when everyone is immunized.
Public health threats make government action such as mandatory vaccination legitimate. It may not surprise you that the ‘tea party movement’ in the USA has shown to give the AVM credit (Keiper, A, 2011). Leave your anti- predisposition at the door and actually ‘think of the children’.

Keiper, A. (2011), Bachmann’s Dangerous Flirtation with the Anti-Vaccine Movement. [online] http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...t-adam-keiper#
Novella, S. (2007), The Anti-Vaccination Movement. Skeptical Inquirer, Vol 31.6.
Offit, P. A. (2010), Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All. Basic books. pp. 288.

I forgot what this was but I knew I had it somewhere.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late

Last edited by slater ohm; 10-30-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
10-30-2014

Thanks guys, I'm basically finding the same things in my reading. It's really mind-blowing what mental gymnastics people will go through to justify their decisions in this matter. Almost everything I've read from someone who's against having their child vaccinated boils down to a "gut" feeling (whatever that is), or a personal objection.

I bet these people would feel differently if they had a child that had to have a limb amputated because they got polio, a disease that's basically been eradicated in the US thanks to modern medicine.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
10-30-2014

I was astounded when I heard about its size and how little factual foundation it had, I think that's why I wrote the set-up you see above. To see if I could do something with it for one of my courses that had a column or essay part.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
Its PJ Bia
NFG bud.
Subtract from Its PJ Bia's ReputationAdd to Its PJ Bia's Reputation Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica Its PJ Bia still downloads from Mythica
Send a message via AIM to Its PJ Bia
10-30-2014

And that is why when I see someone posting things like that on facebook I usually block them from showing up again. People love to believe anything they can read online or see on a news station, and live in fear. Ebola being another good example.
Stobs
Classic.
Subtract from Stobs's ReputationAdd to Stobs's Reputation Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000 Stobs IS OVER 9000
10-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif55 View Post
It's basically just uninformed people being nudged. I don't know a whole lot about it but the sciency people i've talked to think obviously advocate for the vaccines.
These sentences back to back made me lol.

Love ya grif.
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
10-30-2014

holy shit I didn't even notice that stobs

hahahahaha
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

She only comes to me in my dreams

So sleep becomes addicting
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

Grif55
Valar Morgulis
Subtract from Grif55's ReputationAdd to Grif55's Reputation Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Grif55
10-30-2014

I actually noticed that but cared too little to fix it, fuck yall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00SEONTHEL00SE View Post
holy shit lahey, i never put it together

ive been watching trailer park boys for the last month and your avatar is jim lahey and your name is the big lahey. wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaTaNo View Post
Sometimes I wish I was white so I can embrace the neo-nazi culture. This movie was sick and these niggas put in work.