Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Discussion

Display Modes Thread Tools
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
12-13-2013

Well this was unexpected. I suppose plenty of people knew this video was coming but I was pleasantly surprised to see this tonight. I don't think I can say anything in regards to the gameplay other than it was probably as good as we're ever going to see. The spree on Avalanche might actually be the most impressive clip in the entire montage.

So congrats Dennis, I'm happy to see you go out with a bang.

Now, the criticism, and it falls squarely on the shoulders of Puba I'm afraid (unless of course Dennis was closely involved with producing the montage). I don't think there's a nice way of going about saying this but the editing was absolutely, undoubtedly horrendous and detracted from the gameplay. The persistent motion blur and twitching almost gave me a headache, and the way the clips were cut killed any chance this video had at a decent flow, which was probably slim to begin with considering there were what seemed to be a dozen songs used. To give more specifics, the overall exposure was too dark (watched on youtube so maybe the download is better in terms of contrast), and the quality seemed heavily degraded, like it had been been rendered multiple times.

This gives me an opportunity to explain to editors something that many fail to grasp, which is, sometimes less is more. Maybe as a web developer I recognize this more than most because in the world of the internet, minimalism and simplicity are the keys to good user experience. But this carries through to film, and almost any creative medium. Seriously, don't just add effect upon effect thinking that you're somehow adding to the depth of your creation. It doesn't work that way.

Ultimately, this was a montage that could have shattered any previous barriers based on gameplay alone. Seriously, even if it had been edited in the fashion of Roadblock, it would have probably accomplished that. Sadly, instead, the editing only detracted from the overall quality of the video.

Obviously this is only my opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree and say they like the editing. To each their own.
Kiko Mia
E93 カブリオレ
Subtract from Kiko Mia's ReputationAdd to Kiko Mia's Reputation Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000
12-13-2013

I hope you really feel relieved that It's been released at last! and that this is a worthy and stable outcome as your 'final' from your own point of view! I also wish me that you feel at least a lil spark of emotion and euphoria just like by them glorious Releases of yours from the past! The Halo-Montage scene got very small, but I think you've noticed yourself that this release really touched the H3 fans! I love that you both pulled through 100% this time, this last time?! and brought light! Honestly, some clips here were godlike! that 2nd last clip before credits... you better be still proud of these clips, eventhough they might felt already some dust over this period of time^ (hi from Blitszy, btw)

I personally enjoyed this Montage/editing and it had some VERY dope song-selections/Highlight-parts / especially the MONSTER minute which started at 6:27min. where dutchy transformed to robocop! That was so fucking dope, puba High 5 there! Loved that part. Overall was the editing excellent, creative and strong! and wtf what drug were you on while 2:13? nasty part! Regarding the syncing ... also mad Props 2 you here. I could feel you spended a lot of time there. I bet some of these Multikill syncs were pretty time consuming! editing Multis is a bitch, but it depends on how you treat her! Hehe^ and you did it nice , boi!

Spoiler!

Thank you both!

-mucho rspct

Trendkill
A Bitter Old Man
Subtract from Trendkill's ReputationAdd to Trendkill's Reputation Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000
12-13-2013

and i thought after i saw hyena's final that i would never be genuinely shocked by the gameplay in a halo montage again.

welp, you changed that dutchy. this is the best way that the best h3 montager could go out. imma miss you!!

also the editing was great. i don't know what video you guys were watching, but it definitely didn't do anything but add to the amazingness of this video

10/10 amazing job guys!
Chao
Damn, I love mai waifu.
Subtract from Chao's ReputationAdd to Chao's Reputation Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000 Chao IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Chao Send a message via Skype™ to Chao
12-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
gameplay was obviously insane, bet it feels good to have this out finally. sucks to see that this is your final, u wil be miss
then who was kill
Hyena
Lightning Sniper
Subtract from Hyena's ReputationAdd to Hyena's Reputation Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000
12-13-2013

Perfect.
Dkahre
Threshold
Subtract from Dkahre's ReputationAdd to Dkahre's Reputation Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000
Send a message via ICQ to Dkahre Send a message via Skype™ to Dkahre
12-13-2013

Oh, and props for puba for leaving the Captain Murphy song in there.
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to QuiGz Send a message via Skype™ to QuiGz
12-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
then who was kill
steve jobs was kill
N00bSlayer
Level 12
Subtract from N00bSlayer's ReputationAdd to N00bSlayer's Reputation N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica N00bSlayer still downloads from Mythica
12-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv1ncible View Post
Now, the criticism, and it falls squarely on the shoulders of Puba I'm afraid (unless of course Dennis was closely involved with producing the montage). I don't think there's a nice way of going about saying this but the editing was absolutely, undoubtedly horrendous and detracted from the gameplay. The persistent motion blur and twitching almost gave me a headache, and the way the clips were cut killed any chance this video had at a decent flow, which was probably slim to begin with considering there were what seemed to be a dozen songs used. To give more specifics, the overall exposure was too dark (watched on youtube so maybe the download is better in terms of contrast), and the quality seemed heavily degraded, like it had been been rendered multiple times.

This gives me an opportunity to explain to editors something that many fail to grasp, which is, sometimes less is more. Maybe as a web developer I recognize this more than most because in the world of the internet, minimalism and simplicity are the keys to good user experience. But this carries through to film, and almost any creative medium. Seriously, don't just add effect upon effect thinking that you're somehow adding to the depth of your creation. It doesn't work that way.

Ultimately, this was a montage that could have shattered any previous barriers based on gameplay alone. Seriously, even if it had been edited in the fashion of Roadblock, it would have probably accomplished that. Sadly, instead, the editing only detracted from the overall quality of the video
Honestly you must have ADD if you were anyway distracted by the editing. It's pretty funny seeing the creator of Contractus saying the CC is to dark. You just look negative as fuck trying to give ridiculous tips to an editor WAY better then you. Also puba has got mad flow, you're fucked.
Omn1science
Level 15
Subtract from Omn1science's ReputationAdd to Omn1science's Reputation Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin'
12-13-2013

Turning a collection of clips into something that has meaning and leaves an emotional impact on the viewer is undoubtedly the most difficult thing to do when creating a montage, and this video is one of a very small handful of videos in the history of Halo montages that has done so. So huge huge congratulations on that. After Pursuit of Happiness ended and the credits rolled I sort of sat in silence for a minute or so, just having to reflect on what I had watched. Its been a very long time since I've had to do that. The impact of this video is that high.

Some more things I loved. There were also some gorgeous gorgeous angles introducing some of the songs. They were a pleasure to watch. Also, the transition with the killionaire text was cool as fuck. There were so many little fantastic moments like that throughout the video, and the editing style was wonderfully consistent and fun in tone throughout the whole video. And you also did an excellent job not butchering the gameplay.

As for the gameplay, I'm not sure what more can be said, but I will say there were several moments where I found myself actually saying out loud "no, he won't hit that. There's no way". And then you did. The gameplay was absolutely phenomenal.

I am so glad the community still has players and editors in it who are willing to go hard like this and create fantastic videos. Its been so long since I've had a montage to look forward to and see it actually released and be amazing. Like someone said earlier in the thread, this really transported me back to the 2008-2009 years and reminded me how amazing this scene you used to be and still can be. Thank you both for that. Videos of this caliber are few and far between and I honestly think this is the best video since Legacy. It really is awesome to me that people are still producing this kind of content, and I hope that people continue to aspire to produce stuff like this.

So now that I've said the positive things, there are a few things that unfortunately kept this video out of my own personal top 2 or 3 montages of all time.

1. I really, really wish there had been about half as many songs. Every time I really started to get into the flow of the video and have watching it become a flow experience, the song switched and brought me back out.

2. This is a little gripe, but I really did not like the motion blur on the clips. I personally think you really need to add the HUD separately on top of clips with motion blur if you're going to use motion blur on clips. It wasn't a huge thing, but it was distracting. My eye kept being drawn to the radar because it was distorted by the blur. Again, its a little thing but its a little thing that kept this video from becoming a flow experience for me.

3. The video felt very very comfortable within Puba's own style. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or a negative, but the video felt very very similar to the other videos you've edited. The whole putting the song lyrics into the video thing is a very Puba-esque effect, and while it was super fucking cool at times it seemed like you even used the same font from your other videos when you did this effect. I would love to see some branching out.

4. In the same vein, I just wish there had been a little bit of extra umph to this video. Everything was sick and well executed, but again it just felt very comfortable. Song transitions were done with angles like every other tage released since 2010, and aside from a couple effects I just didn't feel like there was anything new done with this video. There were times where it just felt like a longer version of your THF entry (with way better gameplay of course ha). When a video is as incredible as this one, I always would like to see something new done in the video (like with Legacy and the 3D telling a symbolic story throughout the video, or with Dualtality being the first video that really showed what was possible with angles, etc). That's obviously an extremely tall order, so please take it as a compliment that this video is so good that this is actually even relevant.

All in all, this montage will definitely be enshrined as one of the all time greatest Halo 3 videos, and if this ends up being it for the Halo montage community I feel like this is the best possible capstone for the amazing years we had. Fantastic job, and I really can't thank you two enough for giving us all a taste of the golden years again.

EDIT: After watching a second time, the last song is seriously amazing. Zola level work right there and it really made the video for me.

Last edited by Omn1science; 12-13-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Nv1ncible
MCC Clan: [TheHaloForum]
Subtract from Nv1ncible's ReputationAdd to Nv1ncible's Reputation Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000 Nv1ncible IS OVER 9000
12-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bSlayer View Post
Honestly you must have ADD if you were anyway distracted by the editing. It's pretty funny seeing the creator of Contractus saying the CC is to dark. You just look negative as fuck trying to give ridiculous tips to an editor WAY better then you. Also puba has got mad flow, you're fucked.
Based on that statement, I don't think you actually know what ADD is. The editing was not distracting, it was detracting.

And that's why I made the comment about youtube possibly affecting the quality. I know this first hand because Contractus was noticeably more dark on youtube than in the full resolution render. The fact that the video was poorly exposed is like THE smallest complaint I have.

I understand that my post was critical, but Puba can take it for what it's worth, which is simply my opinion. The rest of your post isn't even worth responding to, so please kindly stop spewing shit.

Last edited by Nv1ncible; 12-13-2013 at 09:09 PM.