Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Now that could be fun . . . two die hard Redwing fans . . . battling it out old school.

Of course, I am still actively playing for UF. Do you still play?
Sadly, there is no hockey in Nashville.

But believe me. I can still fly.

Elmo <3
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Sadly, there is no hockey in Nashville.

But believe me. I can still fly.
I have 4 games next semester in northern Georgia and 4 in South Carolina somewhere.

There isn't any ice there?

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-27-2008

Quote:
I have 4 games next semester in northern Georgia and 4 in South Carolina somewhere.

There isn't any ice there?
Besides the Sommet Center, there are a grand total of two ice rinks in the Nashville area (compared to 64 in the Detroit area). Both of them have drop-in times ONLY at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday. Which is exactly when I have class. Which is exactly when all normal people either have school or jobs.

What is WRONG with these people, I have no idea.

Elmo <3
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Besides the Sommet Center, there are a grand total of two ice rinks in the Nashville area (compared to 64 in the Detroit area). Both of them have drop-in times ONLY at 11:30 a.m. Monday-Thursday. Which is exactly when I have class. Which is exactly when all normal people either have school or jobs.

What is WRONG with these people, I have no idea.
I have to go to Jacksonville for ice. But UF has a great roller hockey rink. The best one I have seen outdoors. Stadium seating and everything.

Drop in hockey has always been at 11:30 for me, even up in Iowa, and everywhere else I have lived.

You need to change your schedule punk. I didn't know you were in Nashville, what are you doing there?

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
12-27-2008

Quote:
I have to go to Jacksonville for ice. But UF has a great roller hockey rink. The best one I have seen outdoors. Stadium seating and everything.

Drop in hockey has always been at 11:30 for me, even up in Iowa, and everywhere else I have lived.

You need to change your schedule punk. I didn't know you were in Nashville, what are you doing there?
Going here. And it would be fine if they had evening drop-in too. Or weekend drop-in. EVER. But they don't. Thus my bitching.

Elmo <3
Stagga
Level 48
Subtract from Stagga's ReputationAdd to Stagga's Reputation Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Stagga
08-29-2012

So yeah, no one's posted in this thread for three years, but I am starting a philosophy honors class in high school and I might as well test out my babby steps, starting with writing deductive arguments.

Writing something valid and sound at the same time is actually pretty tough for the most simple conclusions. My philosophy teacher gave us a couple of conclusions to write a minimum of designated premises (4; 5 for the respective arguments).

1)
i. All humans are freethinkers.
ii. Freethinkers create a form of society.
iii. Society begets structure.
iv. I am a part of this societal structure.
conclusion: I am human.
(I realize it's very jumpy and inductive at most parts.)

2)
i. Existence breeds self-awareness.
ii. Self-awareness breeds perception.
iii. Perception is essential to understanding.
iv. Understanding leads to appraisal of the physical and metaphysical world.
v. I hold my own appraisal of the physical and metaphysical world.
conclusion: I exist.

Again, babby's first step. I really don't think I'm any good at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
stagga stood with his palms in a sweat
wetter than eminems, i would bet
but his voice in a mic
was something to like
he'll be drowned in a pussy quartet
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
08-29-2012

If anything, I'd say go simpler (more physical, less airy). To me, it looks like you're giving deductive arguments a person in freshman philosophy would give (i.e. even your first points are a stretch).
Stagga
Level 48
Subtract from Stagga's ReputationAdd to Stagga's Reputation Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000
08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
If anything, I'd say go simpler (more physical, less airy). To me, it looks like you're giving deductive arguments a person in freshman philosophy would give (i.e. even your first points are a stretch).
I agree, my first couple premises needed more expounding - it takes for granted that x is formative of y. This is the first philosophy class I've taken, so it's pretty tough, but I tried my best to make a sound and valid deductive argument without oversimplifying or saying something trite.

Thanks for the help, muRda.
Quote:
but his voice in a mic
was something to like
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
08-29-2012

Freshman philosophy (and later advanced) courses are great; just make sure you don't lose yourself in the process. It's great that you will move through philosophies of the generations, but just make sure that you're understanding how and and why they change.

And don't worry, I did all the same crap. My mind was so in the clouds in freshman year, it's funny looking back at some of the things I wrote in papers.
Stagga
Level 48
08-30-2012

Here's another attempt at a deductive argument I wrote up today of my own accord, as a sub-conclusion of a conclusion I want to be able to support. I realize it uses slippery slope thinking and I don't have much solid evidence as of yet, which is why I'm looking for ways to improve it. There are probably many more fallacious and inductive arguments than the one I pointed out in premise #5. Performance, focus, tasks, quotas (of educational advancement), proof of budget being cut due to lower test scores, less funding meaning higher demands in increasing academic performance is a stretch, and other factors contribute to fatigue and exhaustion that go unaddressed (i.e. sleep deprivation, low metabolism).

1: Many staff and students alike are tired in the morning.
2: This fatigue leads to trouble focusing on tasks.
3: Trouble focusing on tasks leads to sub-par performance.
4: Sub-par performance leads to a decline in exam scores.
5: A decline in exam scores could (fallacious and not guaranteed) lead to a failure to fill quotas of educational advancement.
6: A failure to fill quotas of educational advancement leads to less government funding of the county's education system.
7: Less government funding of education leads to a higher demand in increasing academic performance.
8: Higher demand for increased academic performance adds more strain on students and staff.
9: Strain on staff and faculty leads to exhaustion.

Conclusion: Exhaustion is a cyclical detriment to education.
Quote:
but his voice in a mic
was something to like