Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Wharrgarbl
Level 12
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 103
Subtract from Wharrgarbl's ReputationAdd to Wharrgarbl's Reputation Wharrgarbl is a novice
#31
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
You are, and, especially in this field, it's like watching Gary Coleman fighting the Hulk.
But the Hulk pre- or post-anger?
Niceguy: Who's this Wharrgarbl twat using words with 4+ syllables?
Jon Is Hostil3
We Play MLG-Group Creator
Jon Is Hostil3's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Syracuse NY, 315
Posts: 6,538
Subtract from Jon Is Hostil3's ReputationAdd to Jon Is Hostil3's Reputation Jon Is Hostil3 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Jon Is Hostil3
#32
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharrgarbl View Post
But the Hulk pre- or post-anger?
Post Anger... golly green giant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippin c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT Pwnernaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thryx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTCheWHurTT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phearlez View Post
The best way to get a better BR right now, is to listen to Jon.
Hostil3 had the best tips there are really. Listen to him...
Jon would destroy you.
Hostile is the new Captain clutch. Walsheys' out.
Wow Hostile. Pro much?
WOW Hostil3 is viewing the thread..
Threads officially gay now , thanks Hostil3.
Virtuoso
Level 15
Virtuoso's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: T E X A S
Posts: 275
Subtract from Virtuoso's ReputationAdd to Virtuoso's Reputation Virtuoso is a novice
#33
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharrgarbl View Post
You are putting forth either of (or maybe both of) two ideas . That the United States' Constitution was written in accordance with Christian values, or that the people who wrote that Constitution were primarily influenced by Christianity.

Both of those are completely wrong. Regardless of how much you say that you're NOT saying the US was "founded as a Christian nation", everything you're saying is in support of that argument. It's also mostly factually wrong.

The religion of the majority of the population is completely irrelevant. Even someone as challenged as yourself should be able to comprehend how the descendants of persecuted minorities might want to safeguard minority rights from the tyranny of the majority. And that's what the Constitution is - a safeguard for minority rights. That's why the US government is expressly secular, to keep it impartial.
Actually I'm proposing neither of those ideas. My argument has nothing to do with the Constitution. Neither does the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMblaneH8NATION View Post
How did America go from this:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Treaty of Tripoli, 1796 (written by George Washington and signed by John Adams in 1979)
To a country that is run largely by Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country?
So the question is "How did we get to be a country whose leaders are Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country?" Everything that you're arguing in reference to the Constitution is irrelevant to the question. The country got that way, because these "Christian leaders" went to schools that taught that people suffering religious persecution fled England to be rid of said persecution. Whether they were Protestant, Catholic, Puritan--most shared a system of beliefs that most closely resembles those of Christianity. So, these "Christian leaders" (whether intentionally or unintentionally) acquired the idea that these "founders" who were most all Christian, came here for "religious freedom" (which they did)--even though this happened to be but one of possibly several reasons for leaving England. Whether this is their own misinterpretation of the U.S.'s history (although, I don't think so) or simply fact that is meant to be taken from the lessons of that history (more likely), this (this, and the fact that they were voted into office) is WHY our country has come to be one "run largely by Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country." I'm sorry that you feel I'm hard to follow... perhaps after some more schooling you'll be up to par?

Also, I don't mean for my insults to be taken personally--that is up to you. If you feel so insecure as to be offended by such petty remarks, then that is an unfortunate problem, but it is your problem. I merely use them for my own entertainment... you know, for fun.
.: :: ::: PM me for a Lockerz invite ::: :: :.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#34
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
Also, I don't mean for my insults to be taken personally--that is up to you. If you feel so insecure as to be offended by such petty remarks, then that is an unfortunate problem, but it is your problem. I merely use them for my own entertainment... you know, for fun.
I guess it'd help if they were, you know, funny.
Spoiler!
Virtuoso
Level 15
Virtuoso's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: T E X A S
Posts: 275
Subtract from Virtuoso's ReputationAdd to Virtuoso's Reputation Virtuoso is a novice
#35
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
I guess it'd help if they were, you know, funny.
Funny for me--that's all that matters dear friend. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Next post: You're not... dur dur dur

Also, davo why not contribute to the discussion (it's not really much of a debate)? All I've seen from you thus far are snide comments and "I agree"'s... don't feel capable or what?
.: :: ::: PM me for a Lockerz invite ::: :: :.

Last edited by Virtuoso; 12-17-2008 at 08:05 PM.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#36
12-17-2008
Default

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
Next post: more smug self-satisfied inanity.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 12-17-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Virtuoso
Level 15
Virtuoso's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: T E X A S
Posts: 275
Subtract from Virtuoso's ReputationAdd to Virtuoso's Reputation Virtuoso is a novice
#37
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
What a travesty that would be! Why then I couldn't applaud you for all of your ever-so-intellectual contributions.
.: :: ::: PM me for a Lockerz invite ::: :: :.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#38
12-17-2008
Default

I'm onto you, Nothing!
Spoiler!
Virtuoso
Level 15
Virtuoso's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: T E X A S
Posts: 275
Subtract from Virtuoso's ReputationAdd to Virtuoso's Reputation Virtuoso is a novice
#39
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJesus View Post
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever tell davo to grow up.

Never
You're right. It probably wouldn't do any good.
.: :: ::: PM me for a Lockerz invite ::: :: :.
Wharrgarbl
Level 12
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 103
Subtract from Wharrgarbl's ReputationAdd to Wharrgarbl's Reputation Wharrgarbl is a novice
#40
12-17-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
Actually I'm proposing neither of those ideas. My argument has nothing to do with the Constitution. Neither does the original post.



So the question is "How did we get to be a country whose leaders are Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country?" Everything that you're arguing in reference to the Constitution is irrelevant to the question. The country got that way, because these "Christian leaders" went to schools that taught that people suffering religious persecution fled England to be rid of said persecution. Whether they were Protestant, Catholic, Puritan--most shared a system of beliefs that most closely resembles those of Christianity. So, these "Christian leaders" (whether intentionally or unintentionally) acquired the idea that these "founders" who were most all Christian, came here for "religious freedom" (which they did)--even though this happened to be but one of possibly several reasons for leaving England. Whether this is their own misinterpretation of the U.S.'s history (although, I don't think so) or simply fact that is meant to be taken from the lessons of that history (more likely), this (this, and the fact that they were voted into office) is WHY our country has come to be one "run largely by Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country." I'm sorry that you feel I'm hard to follow... perhaps after some more schooling you'll be up to par?

Also, I don't mean for my insults to be taken personally--that is up to you. If you feel so insecure as to be offended by such petty remarks, then that is an unfortunate problem, but it is your problem. I merely use them for my own entertainment... you know, for fun.
The Constitution is the document from which all of the US Government's authority extends. In other words, it's kinda important. An argument about the US government that "has nothing to do with the Constitution" is...well...I don't even know the words to describe that.

As for the other stuff -- 1. Guessing why politicians believe the way they do is a bit of a waste of time, and in any case there are many biographies out there that explain (ostensibly) why they feel the way they do. However, I think it has more to do with 2., Politicians will say whatever they think will get them elected. As it turns out, saying you're a Christian is something that will get a certain section of the electorate to vote for you.

I think the basic problem here is that you don't actually know how logic works. You've made a ton of assumptions about the nature of US politics and US history as related to religion, and then made more assumptions/arguments based on those initial (false) assumptions. " WHY our country has come to be one "run largely by Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country.""? Our country isn't run by "Christians who believe 'God' is the foundation of our country", which invalidates everything else you say stemming from that. Davo would probably be able to describe your problem more precisely, but I don't spend as much time thinking about the nature of rationality as he does. I'm used to dealing with people who possess it at a basic level.

As for the "more schooling" part, I'm actually posting this crap in between working on graduate school applications. I'm looking at MA and PhD programs in...History.


Quote:
Funny for me--that's all that matters dear friend. I'm not trying to impress anyone.
I disagree.
Niceguy: Who's this Wharrgarbl twat using words with 4+ syllables?
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off