Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
10-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sC DeLAy View Post
Do you seriously read Aquinas and Hobbes on your own?

Or is that for escuela?
It's for school, lol. I'm reading (finished reading) Leviathan for Social and Political Philosophy and I'm halfway through On Law, Morality, and Politics by Aquinas for Ethical Theory (have to read the whole thing by Monday). Aquinas makes me want to believe in his god.
Busy, busy, busy
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
10-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Aquinas makes me want to believe in his god.
Didn't some pope make Aquinas's arguments part of the Bible, or was that St. Augustine?

NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
10-16-2008

It might have been Aquinas, and it might have been what he had to say about god being evident through His effects (movement, change, gradation, harmony, sufficiency). Pope Leo XIII stated that Aquinas's theology was a definitive exposition of Catholic doctrine, and Summa Theologica was placed next to the Bible some place. But you're probably thinking of St. Augustine, since his idea that God is beyond human reason is a little more prominent in Judeo-Christian thinking.

edit: And I looked that junk up on wiki because I'm not very well versed in my medieval philosophers
Busy, busy, busy
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
10-16-2008

Augustine was a wicked smart guy, except for the whole idea that the conception of something perfect meant that there must exist something else more perfect, which means for some reason it must exist in reality since we were able to consciously think about it. Really weird!
H 2 F R e G s
NG
poo-tee-weet?
10-16-2008

Augustine did a LOT for theology.
Busy, busy, busy
Delay
Level 44
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
10-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
It's for school, lol. I'm reading (finished reading) Leviathan for Social and Political Philosophy and I'm halfway through On Law, Morality, and Politics by Aquinas for Ethical Theory (have to read the whole thing by Monday). Aquinas makes me want to believe in his god.
Where are you getting your Bachelors in Philosophy from?

Or do you already have one, and now you're working on Masters or PhD. :P