Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
MackRabbit
uber n00b (level 2)
Subtract from MackRabbit's ReputationAdd to MackRabbit's Reputation MackRabbit is a novice
09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMblaneH8NATION View Post
Just for that, I'm not watching that montage in your signature.
KARMA is a bitch... :/

Yes indeed, good point.

But my only concern with what you said is that seeing as though we are making new findings everyday that contradict other findings or poke holes in other findings, how can people accept an ever-changing theory system over a constant belief system?

Maybe if I wasn't raised Christian that argument would persuade me more.
A constant belief system is one where people just stick their fingers in their ears and go la la la la and try to hide behind a bible, with all the arrogance and ignorance that goes along with it, and on the other hand a system that changes with new found evidence is one that is rational and questioning, so how can you afford not go with an "ever-changing theory system" (overly vague term).
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRyanI View Post
One of the requirements of science is that is satisfies the "falsifiability" principle. This means that for a theory to be scientific it has to have the possibility of falsification because without such, it is trivial and tells us nothing useful. You're basically arguing for science.
Wow, I am just impressed that you remember that VERY important part of science. Everyone forgets, isn't taught, or white-noises over the falsifying principle. I had a whole class on it one semester and soooooo many people don't know about it. - props

Tigga -

I actually understand what you are trying to say. Why is all this worthwhile, why not just go out and enjoy life in your own way.

This may not be for you, but it may be the way that many people enjoy life. I am a scientist not just because I like the money and am good at it, it makes me happy as well. It is my enjoyment to figure stuff out that we didn't know before. It is my passion in life.

It is my way of leaving a mark on society, by furthering our knowledge of ourself and leaving it better than it was when I got it.

All of Biology and Genetics and most of the other sciences are based on Evolution. Our understanding of it only furthers the rest of science. It is the foundation of life as we know and see it.

And by the way, Evolution is not based on circular reasoning.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
PM
1 authentic experience
Subtract from PM's ReputationAdd to PM's Reputation PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000
09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
So you'd choose teachings that have not changed but now have huge holes in them (Creationism...two people could not result in this many people and this many races in such a small amount of time without side effects [see: inbreeding problems]) compared to theories that are improved by discoveries that are made?
Inbreeding problems? Come on.
According the the story, Adam and Eve had thousands of kids (God blessed them to do so).
If one brother had kids with his 1,103rd sister... Wouldn't that be like having kids with almost anyone today, because theory states everyone in the world is related by six people.

Plus, royal families used to inbreed.

I'm not promoting modern inbreeding.. just saying that it used to be common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Here's the problem - I am not a means to the end of rape culture, I am the end. I am literally the termination of this whole ordeal.
here's the problem
Brian_F
i
Subtract from Brian_F's ReputationAdd to Brian_F's Reputation Brian_F is on the rise to fame Brian_F is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Brian_F
09-17-2007

Quote:
According the the story, Adam and Eve had thousands of kids (God blessed them to do so).
If one brother had kids with his 1,103rd sister... Wouldn't that be like having kids with almost anyone today, because theory states everyone in the world is related by six people.

You can only split 92 chromosomes between the two parents to form the 46 for the child in so many ways. Your 1,103rd sister is just as closely related as your second.
PM
1 authentic experience
Subtract from PM's ReputationAdd to PM's Reputation PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000
09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Tigga -
I actually understand what you are trying to say. Why is all this worthwhile, why not just go out and enjoy life in your own way.
True, so why don't evolutionists and atheists stop trying to take God's name out of our nation's own pledge, national anthem, and declaration of independence?

I understand that atheists dislike hearing it, and don't want their children to either, but for Christians it gives a sense of hope. Why take it away?

RELIGION IS NOT TRUE, but God didn't make religion. Religion was an invention of man after their downfall from God.
Quote:
Here's the problem - I am not a means to the end of rape culture, I am the end. I am literally the termination of this whole ordeal.
here's the problem
Brian_F
i
Subtract from Brian_F's ReputationAdd to Brian_F's Reputation Brian_F is on the rise to fame Brian_F is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Brian_F
09-17-2007

Quote:
True, so why don't evolutionists and atheists stop trying to take God's name out of our nation's own pledge, national anthem, and declaration of independence?

I understand that atheists dislike hearing it, and don't want their children to either, but for Christians it gives a sense of hope. Why take it away?

RELIGION IS NOT TRUE, but God didn't make religion. Religion was an invention of man after their downfall from God.
If religion is not true, but preaches God's word, then doesn't that make God's word untrue?

Last edited by Brian_F; 09-17-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Substance
Level 28
Subtract from Substance's ReputationAdd to Substance's Reputation Substance is a novice
09-17-2007

Quote:

Why isn't my imaginary friend Johnny in the pledge, anthem, and declaration of independence? They get their imaginary friend named God in them, not fair!!
PM
1 authentic experience
09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death789 View Post
If religion is not true, but preaches God's word, then doesn't that make God's word untrue?
No.

That was a horrible argument.

If a teacher was an idiot, but the book she taught the class was full of facts, would it make the book stupid?
Quote:
here's the problem
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
09-17-2007

Quote:

Because of the seperation of Church and State

The state should not support any religion as we have freedom of religion in America and requiring people to plege allegience to something under god shows preference for certain religions and beliefs over others.

Plus it is just silly.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

MarkedAchilles
09-17-2007

Quote:

The royal families have had many genetic problems as well as sexual ones because of the inbreeding. If you actually saw Royal Families under this practice without makeup you would see the results. They are one of the most common large mammal study groups for genetic diseases besides dogs.

And it is connected, not related by Six.