Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
sOoOo FcKn HaWt
Level 13
Subtract from sOoOo FcKn HaWt's ReputationAdd to sOoOo FcKn HaWt's Reputation sOoOo FcKn HaWt is a novice
Send a message via AIM to sOoOo FcKn HaWt
08-22-2007
Default Conflictions with Science

I would rather a smart person answer these instead of some retarded brain-washed Chirstian telling me something that does not make a bit of sence.

Why does the Bible teach that the sky is a solid dome of transparent
material with water above it? (The water poured through the "windows of
heaven" to cause Noah's flood, and then presumably poured off the edge of the
disk-shaped earth into the abyss.)

Why does the Bible teach that goats will have striped offspring if they see
stripes when they drink at the watering trough, when this has been discredited
by modern genetics?

Why does the Bible record scientifically impossible events as factual? For
example, the creation narrative, Noah's deluge, a solid dome over the sky,
Earth supported by a foundation. Why has the evangelical church produced
"Creation Science" explanations that are complete nonsense? Why is it that
none of the more rational reconciliations of science and the Bible survives
scrutiny????

How can it be that Psalm 16 and Romans 1 teach that the creation is a
reliable means of knowing God ("natural theology"), but the scientific study of
biological and geological origins contradicts the creation narrative in
Genesis? Why does "natural theology" contradict "revealed theology" (the
Bible)? Is the creation bearing false witness? Is the Bible bearing false
witness?

I have read the bible and I have a shit load of question's for you guys. When I was a christian I tryed asking my Preacher some that didn't make any sence and he told me some questions shouldn't be questioned, but again... im not going to belive in something that has no prove behind it.

Idk about you, but I would rather live by sight, not by faith.

Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
08-22-2007

I imagine that the "brainwashed Christians" would give you answers like "it's a metaphor", "no science didn't prove that", or "God did it".

Elmo <3
[]D[][]V[][]D
Level 28
Subtract from []D[][]V[][]D's ReputationAdd to []D[][]V[][]D's Reputation []D[][]V[][]D is a novice
08-22-2007

please give more specific verses that say those things so that I can give you a better answer. And if you think that creation and science cant go together go to www.answersincreation.org

sOoOo FcKn HaWt
Level 13
Subtract from sOoOo FcKn HaWt's ReputationAdd to sOoOo FcKn HaWt's Reputation sOoOo FcKn HaWt is a novice
08-22-2007

Well, they should...

Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
08-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOoOo FcKn HaWt View Post
I would rather a smart person answer these instead of some retarded brain-washed Chirstian telling me something that does not make a bit of sence.

Why does the Bible teach that goats will have striped offspring if they see
stripes when they drink at the watering trough, when this has been discredited
by modern genetics?
That could be easily explained as 'coincidence'. There are plenty of chaotic systems there that could easily be influenced without anyone being able to tell.
Quote:
Why does the Bible record scientifically impossible events as factual? For
example, the creation narrative, Noah's deluge, a solid dome over the sky,
scrutiny????
As far as creation science goes, there are several reasons for that. The most cynical one being that it's an effort by the church to retain power, just like they've done in the past with things that go against their dogma. Flat Earth, geocentricism, etc.

It's disgusting to see someone call something 'science' and then work to fit data to their preconceived conclusions. If creationists are right, science will come to the same conclusion independently. Instead we have people looking at a yellow ball and calling it a green cube.
Quote:

How can it be that Psalm 16 and Romans 1 teach that the creation is a
reliable means of knowing God ("natural theology"), but the scientific study of
biological and geological origins contradicts the creation narrative in
witness?
Well, if reality is set up to produce a misleading picture of where it came from, then G_d would have to be a lot more malicious than Christians would like to think
Quote:
I have read the bible and I have a sh.t load of question's for you guys. When I was a christian I tryed asking my Preacher some that didn't make any sence and he told me some questions shouldn't be questioned, but again... im not going to belive in something that has no prove behind it.

Idk about you, but I would rather live by sight, not by faith.
He said that? That's just about the number 1 stereotypical clue in to some vast conspiracy

That's one of the reasons I prefer Judaism to Christianity. Judaism promotes questioning, education, and action over belief.

Close mindedness is something we'd all be better off without...

(I skipped some parts 'cause you didn't give verses, and I'm too lazy to look 'em up to give my view)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
08-22-2007

You should understand, as many believers and nonbelievers don't, that the Bible is a story -- while there lies in this story certain elements of truth, with any writing aimed at affirming beliefs, constructing religion, or interesting readers, it is subject to exaggeration and fictionalization in order to make the story a better, more captivating read. Therefore, it's foolish to accept all of what's said in the Bible at face value, or, without a grain of salt.

It's a story of righteousness, Godliness, morality and creation; focus more on the themes of what's told rather than assuming all is told to be true as fact.
Busy, busy, busy
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
08-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOoOo FcKn HaWt View Post
Well, I'm Catholic... but hardly brain-washed.

Quote:
Why does the Bible teach that the sky is a solid dome of transparent
material with water above it? (The water poured through the "windows of
heaven" to cause Noah's flood, and then presumably poured off the edge of the disk-shaped earth into the abyss.)
I think you're putting too much emphasis on the word teach. Obviously that's not the case since rocket ships would've hit it after exiting our atmosphere.

You have to remember that the Bible was written thousands of years ago, when ideas like such as this seemed plausible. Just as once the Big Bang was a widely accepted concept, so was something as crazy as this.

Quote:
Why does the Bible teach that goats will have striped offspring if they see stripes when they drink at the watering trough, when this has been discredited by modern genetics?
lol I've never heard of that before. Got a book, chapter, verse? But again, I think you should be careful with your use of the word teach.

Quote:
Why does the Bible record scientifically impossible events as factual? For example, the creation narrative, Noah's deluge, a solid dome over the sky,
scrutiny????
If this is solely for evangelicals, then you tell 'em. But there are other sects of Christianity that don't hold everything in the Bible as fact.

Quote:
How can it be that Psalm 16 and Romans 1 teach that the creation is a reliable means of knowing God ("natural theology"), but the scientific study of biological and geological origins contradicts the creation narrative in
witness?
I really don't understand what you're going for here. Sry.

Quote:
I have read the bible and I have a sh.t load of question's for you guys. When I was a christian I tryed asking my Preacher some that didn't make any sence and he told me some questions shouldn't be questioned, but again... im not going to belive in something that has no prove behind it.
He probably thought you were too young at the time or something. My elementary education as far as religion goes was utter bullsh*t. It was only until I got into high school where I really started learning about Catholicism.

And trying out one priest really isn't the best way to get the answers you're looking for. Some priests are *ssholes/lazy. They're people, too. You should search around for different answers before you stand behind one that you claim to be right.
sOoOo FcKn HaWt
Level 13
08-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
You should understand, as many believers and nonbelievers don't, that the Bible is a story -- while there lies in this story certain elements of truth, with any writing aimed at affirming beliefs, constructing religion, or interesting readers, it is subject to exaggeration and fictionalization in order to make the story a better, more captivating read. Therefore, it's foolish to accept all of what's said in the Bible at face value, or, without a grain of salt.

It's a story of righteousness, Godliness, morality and creation; focus more on the themes of what's told rather than assuming all is told to be true as fact.

I know, that the Bible exaggerates, like how it always is talking about 40 days and 40 night which probably means a long time or something, but does it have to exaggerate it's stories to make it unbelievable?

And it should ALL be true not exaggerated in the first place.

SubRandom
Level 12
Subtract from SubRandom's ReputationAdd to SubRandom's Reputation SubRandom is a novice
Send a message via ICQ to SubRandom Send a message via AIM to SubRandom Send a message via MSN to SubRandom
08-23-2007

It's probably just a metaphor. Thats a lousy excuse, though.

...I'm not a brain-washed Christian, I'm atheist.
White Rabiit
Level 12
Subtract from White Rabiit's ReputationAdd to White Rabiit's Reputation White Rabiit is a novice
08-24-2007

I think it was Galileo who once said that if scientific fact and the bible don't go together then you are misinterpreting the bible.
One pill makes you smaller and one pill makes you large and the one that your mother gives you don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice......I think shed know