Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
08-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
I'd love to see a bit about what you did. Math is one of the few things that are objective in this world, and for that reason, it's always had a place in my heart.
Isn't math only objective because it was designed to be objective?
Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
08-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
Isn't math only objective because it was designed to be objective?
It works that way because the design uses precise logic and formula to draw conclusions. So instead of having a "most logical answer" you only have ONE logical answer.

Actually, I know in some cases variables give you things like 1 or -1, but I consider that included into one answer.
Busy, busy, busy
`NthErik.
Amokläufer
Subtract from `NthErik.'s ReputationAdd to `NthErik.'s Reputation `NthErik. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to `NthErik.
08-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
It works that way because the design uses precise logic and formula to draw conclusions. So instead of having a "most logical answer" you only have ONE logical answer.

Actually, I know in some cases variables give you things like 1 or -1, but I consider that included into one answer.
Not to mention the fact that .999 repeating is equal to 1. That's pretty confuſing ſhit.

E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
08-10-2007

Bishop do you have any peer-reviewed research that isn't from the mid 1800's (ie contemporary)... I appreciate the effort but those claims were refuted a looooong time ago.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel

Last edited by E Nomini Patri; 08-10-2007 at 04:01 AM.
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
08-10-2007

If you read my post, I said I was finished debating the Evolution/Creation argument. Heck, I even conceded and admitted defeat. What more would you prefer, my head on a platter?

Mathematics is the only subject in the world entirely based upon reason. While philosophy claims the same, it's quite a false claim based upon the fact that there are many polar opposites represented by different philosophers. For example, Mill and Kant both have differentiated beliefs regarding actions, motivations for actions, as well as the consequences of actions.

Mathematics ultimately looks at previously reasoned information, builds more reason upon that information, and discovers new things practically everyday. Although some things may be more insignificant than others, the fact remains that its entirely reasoned, therefore flawless.

Although, one might argue as to the "flawless" nature of mathematics. The only subject of mathematics that I find even remotely flawed is set/group theory because often times the axioms one looks at may have flaws that haven't been discovered or understood at this point in time.
H 2 F R e G s
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
08-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiShoP View Post
If you read my post, I said I was finished debating the Evolution/Creation argument. Heck, I even conceded and admitted defeat. What more would you prefer, my head on a platter?

Mathematics is the only subject in the world entirely based upon reason. While philosophy claims the same, it's quite a false claim based upon the fact that there are many polar opposites represented by different philosophers. For example, Mill and Kant both have differentiated beliefs regarding actions, motivations for actions, as well as the consequences of actions.

Mathematics ultimately looks at previously reasoned information, builds more reason upon that information, and discovers new things practically everyday. Although some things may be more insignificant than others, the fact remains that its entirely reasoned, therefore flawless.

Although, one might argue as to the "flawless" nature of mathematics. The only subject of mathematics that I find even remotely flawed is set/group theory because often times the axioms one looks at may have flaws that haven't been discovered or understood at this point in time.
Wait, what? Science as a whole is based on reason. It is self-correcting, has no problem admitting that sometimes it's wrong, and will completely throw away hundreds or even thousands of years of ideology if it knows it's wrong. Science is the peak of the human condition! Science admits it doesn't know everything, admits it can't know everything, and bases what it does know on experimentation and observation. There is nothing in this world greater than science.

Math is only a small part of science (or physics, in the applied sciences), and yes, it/they are the only realms of science that can provide provable mathematical law.

But math the only thing based on reason? I think not. . .
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
08-10-2007

Don't you be bad mouthin' philosophy, sir.
Busy, busy, busy
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
08-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Wait, what? Science as a whole is based on reason. It is self-correcting, has no problem admitting that sometimes it's wrong, and will completely throw away hundreds or even thousands of years of ideology if it knows it's wrong. Science is the peak of the human condition! Science admits it doesn't know everything, admits it can't know everything, and bases what it does know on experimentation and observation. There is nothing in this world greater than science.

Math is only a small part of science (or physics, in the applied sciences), and yes, it/they are the only realms of science that can provide provable mathematical law.

But math the only thing based on reason? I think not. . .
I'm saying it's the subject most primarily dominated by pure reason. All the sciences depend upon observable happenings in the physical world, whereas most of mathematics is pure reasoned development. For example, the h-vector and f-vector have no significance in the external world because it was developed purely as a reasoned entity.
H 2 F R e G s
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
08-11-2007

Whether a subject is reasonable to you individually and whether or not a subject is based on reason are two completely different things.
Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
09-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoaLiTioN View Post
This doesn't make sense..
You're not spamming just for the hell of it, are you?

What doesn't make sense? You don't make sense? No, you don't.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .