Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Air Yetly
level 34537
Subtract from Air Yetly's ReputationAdd to Air Yetly's Reputation Air Yetly is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Air Yetly
02-12-2007

i don't know if any one posted this before but:
Do you guys think that modern medicine and hospitals are ruining natural selection and survival of the fittest for humans? i know this is really cynical but think about it, why should a person with genes that cause cancer, paralysis, and mental illnesses be aloud to reproduce (the more hardcore (think nazis) think that such people shouldn't beable to live). These arn't my views but its something one of my friends brought up.

ONCE YOU GO HALO 1 YOU DON'T GO BACK
TriaD III
Level 14
Subtract from TriaD III's ReputationAdd to TriaD III's Reputation TriaD III is a novice
02-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetly=happiness View Post
i don't know if any one posted this before but:
Do you guys think that modern medicine and hospitals are ruining natural selection and survival of the fittest for humans? i know this is really cynical but think about it, why should a person with genes that cause cancer, paralysis, and mental illnesses be aloud to reproduce (the more hardcore (think nazis) think that such people shouldn't beable to live). These arn't my views but its something one of my friends brought up.
The answer is yes. Natural selection kills the ones that cannot survive and keeps the fittest alive(usually). But technology is ruining that, and we are most likely de-volving out of it.
"...atheism is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'non-astrologer' or a 'non-alchemist.' We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle."
-Sam Harris

Last edited by TriaD III; 02-12-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Case
I'm Coffeyy
Subtract from Case's ReputationAdd to Case's Reputation Case is a novice
02-12-2007

this is all so complecated
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankette View Post
again with your demaening typing to me..you know karma is ganna come around one day and smack you in the tush..dont say i didnt warn you friend.
Good thing Karma doesn't exist.

Anyway- I really enjoyed reading this thread, and I have yet to hear about how evolution is like a "bush"
I like that analogy, now I can use that next time I debate with someone and they ask me how it looks or something

@TriaD III's last post. Do you think eventually we will all become weak fragile creatures that can only survive off of synthesized elements? Or perhaps scientists will find a way around this and make a more natural, but cleaner lifestyle. I mean we already get shots for viruses so we can be immune to them. There shouldn't be anything wrong for finding a cure for cancer, and then the patient having kids (Depending on the type of cancer)
If it was genetic, and is recessive, it should be alright.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable View Post
Well, logically, something like Karma does exist, doesn't it? I mean, if you're nice to people all your life, probability dictates that other people will appreciate your kindness, and they'll help you when you really need it. Logic also suggests that if you're a dick all your life, people are going to turn away when you're in need. It's really more logic and probability than anything super-natural...
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Well, logically, something like Karma does exist, doesn't it? I mean, if you're nice to people all your life, probability dictates that other people will appreciate your kindness, and they'll help you when you really need it. Logic also suggests that if you're a d*ck all your life, people are going to turn away when you're in need. It's really more logic and probability than anything super-natural...
Well, yeah thats what I meant. When people say karma I usually think "Some force of nature will come back and bite me in the ass... WOAHHAOAAH!"

So yes what I believe is what you just posted :P
Logic.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable View Post
Could you tell it that for me? It won't freakin' leave me alone

There's the expected karma that TooMuchButtHair mentioned, and then there's the weird one that you don't expect exists, can't verify that it exists, can be fully explained by coincidence, yet likes to happen all too often. Not that I'm complaining. It keeps me on my toes...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
Could you tell it that for me? It won't freakin' leave me alone

There's the expected karma that TooMuchButtHair mentioned, and then there's the weird one that you don't expect exists, can't verify that it exists, can be fully explained by coincidence, yet likes to happen all too often. Not that I'm complaining. It keeps me on my toes...
You know Froggy, if I were a superstitous guy, I'd think that I had an angel watching over me. I've been in some very sketchy senarios over the course of my life, and the last thing I ever expected to happen, always has (and it's always turned out for the better).
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
02-19-2007

A great deal of people think evolution is linear and branching like a bush.

A - B - C

Where A evolved into B into C.

A simple line. If you hook a bunch of those together you get something like a family tree that we have all seen. It is not like that but that is how it is thought of.

The branching is faaaaaar more complicated and faaaaaar larger than any simple cladogram or family tree you have ever seen.

That is all I meant by the bushy part. Evoluton in humans looks nothing like a tree, it looks like a bush with lots of branches going nowhere and input coming in from lots of places. Like a bush.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
the midas touch
Level 37
Subtract from the midas touch's ReputationAdd to the midas touch's Reputation the midas touch is on the rise to fame the midas touch is on the rise to fame
02-23-2007

Evolution in action:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022201007.html

"Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans."

^my signature picture disappeared. How does I get it back?

If there were no reward
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here
I certainly would've walked away by now