Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#221
10-02-2006
Default

The subject of Evolution is not taught well or at all in H.S. and as most people are in H.S. on this site, this subject is not easily understood or debated.

That is why Mr. Sick


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
SicKizZLe
Bury me in my squat rack
SicKizZLe's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,588
Subtract from SicKizZLe's ReputationAdd to SicKizZLe's Reputation SicKizZLe is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SicKizZLe Send a message via MSN to SicKizZLe Send a message via Yahoo to SicKizZLe
#222
10-02-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles
The subject of Evolution is not taught well or at all in H.S. and as most people are in H.S. on this site, this subject is not easily understood or debated.

That is why Mr. Sick
I'm in High School but I learn about Evolution on my own time. After school, I usually read some articles on the internet about it or get some books out and read them. Evolution is a great topic and more people should be interested in it.
MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#223
10-03-2006
Default

USA and the Nobel Prize for work on the Big Bang:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

They say that this work did not prove the big bang, but that the evidence collected was not predicted by ANY other hypothesis on the origin of the universe.

The Scientific community agreed and has awarded them the Nobel Prize.


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Air Yetly
level 34537
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: i boosted for my status
Posts: 3,264
Subtract from Air Yetly's ReputationAdd to Air Yetly's Reputation Air Yetly is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Air Yetly
#224
10-03-2006
Default

I have trouble with this topic because my mom has her masters in Theology and almost brainwashes me with Christianity. but not the evangelical kind but the comprimised kind, she thinks 7 day creation isn't true and believes in evolution. Now, I have liked science ( except biology) for practically my whole life so i know TONS of scientific facts that make me think of most of Christianity as false. After all the earliest religions were based on tales to explain natural occurences that our ancestors couldn't explain (tide,rain,crops). Also I can't help but think "what kind of proof do we have that jesus or the new testement every even existed" sure theres the bible but how do we know that it wasn't just some fairy tale written by and Egyptian then rediscovered many years ago. Also Religions in general make people ignorant, you can't help it. When you are taught something at such a young age firmly enough you think that any thing against those teachings is evil or "the devil's temptation".


basically what im saying is that i COMPLETELY dissagree with the theory of Creationism because of how close minded you would have to be to believe it. the fact that there are so many facts that dissprove it is overwhelming. According to Creationism the history of the UNIVERSE happened in 10,000 years. Through carbon dating we proved that 10,000 years isn't even 1/100 of the earths geological history. Although the Creationists have good arguments also like "how do YOU know that your right (think about this one)" and "were you there".

Basically ive come to the conclusion to not come to a conclusion and ride the fence.


ONCE YOU GO HALO 1 YOU DON'T GO BACK
SR HaVoK
Level 14
SR HaVoK's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 215
Subtract from SR HaVoK's ReputationAdd to SR HaVoK's Reputation SR HaVoK is a novice
#225
10-06-2006
Default

Well I live in CA, home of more radical liberal blowhards than anywhere else, and we are taught evolution before we can walk, lol. (I support evolution, but you should see some of the other stuff they try to teach us.)
MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#226
10-06-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR HaVoK View Post
Well I live in CA, home of more radical liberal blowhards than anywhere else, and we are taught evolution before we can walk, lol. (I support evolution, but you should see some of the other stuff they try to teach us.)
I would love to live out there. That would be one of my first choices for finishing out my PhD. But it is so expensive to live.

I also have to consider my better half's ideas on the state and she is not in favor of it right now.

But trust me if Bill Maher ever wrote us a letter or if the state succeeds from the Union, dammit we are coming too.


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
SicKizZLe
Bury me in my squat rack
SicKizZLe's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,588
Subtract from SicKizZLe's ReputationAdd to SicKizZLe's Reputation SicKizZLe is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SicKizZLe Send a message via MSN to SicKizZLe Send a message via Yahoo to SicKizZLe
#227
10-06-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR HaVoK View Post
Well I live in CA, home of more radical liberal blowhards than anywhere else, and we are taught evolution before we can walk, lol. (I support evolution, but you should see some of the other stuff they try to teach us.)
You're pretty lucky. Where I live, it's against the rules of the school to teach evolution. Many people think that religion will come in and people will think the teachers want the students to forget about religion. I live in an area where almost everyone is religious so it was banned in our school. In sucks, I wanted to learn about evolution in school. But, I find time to learn about it off of school. I'm going to talk to our school and see if we can work something out. ^_^
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#228
10-06-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR HaVoK View Post
Well I live in CA, home of more radical liberal blowhards than anywhere else, and we are taught evolution before we can walk, lol. (I support evolution, but you should see some of the other stuff they try to teach us.)
I live in California too, and the public education system didn't teach me anything about evolution until I was in 10th grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by So SicK View Post
You're pretty lucky. Where I live, it's against the rules of the school to teach evolution. Many people think that religion will come in and people will think the teachers want the students to forget about religion. I live in an area where almost everyone is religious so it was banned in our school. In sucks, I wanted to learn about evolution in school. But, I find time to learn about it off of school. I'm going to talk to our school and see if we can work something out. ^_^
If what you say is true, than you can sue your school for several million dollars. It's been done before, and it's been sucessful. If you really do want to learn about Evolution, you can AIM me, or e-mail me and we can get down and talk about some mutation! I'm sure Marked would be willing to do the same.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
SR HaVoK
Level 14
SR HaVoK's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 215
Subtract from SR HaVoK's ReputationAdd to SR HaVoK's Reputation SR HaVoK is a novice
#229
10-07-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
I live in California too, and the public education system didn't teach me anything about evolution until I was in 10th grade.
Same, but that's not exactly what I meant. We aren't guided through the subject COMPLETELY in school until 9th grade here, but that doesn't mean the subject is completely absence otherwise. The idea and details of evolution are told to kids loooong before the actually unit was covered in my bio class.

I won't deny it. I live in one of the best areas in the country. That's the pure honest truth. I've lived here my whole life, was born in the hospital that's under a mile from my house, and the area is awesome.

But... and there's the but, this IS CA. As I said, there are smart people out here, both liberal and conservative, but in CA I've noticed there are so many liberal blowhards it's quite remarkable. Some of the kids have become so indonctrinated with their hatred for Dubbya, they would literally, and LITERALLY, sacrifice themselves in order to take him out. (think suicide bomber). They are the type who, while we are studying something so far from politics that it's amazing that they can even utter, "Bush sucks." It's amazing. We were talking about the circulatory system last year, and some kid with lesbian mothers yells Bush sucks, out of the blue. Another time a girl stood up in class, pronounced "I'm a lesbian" and you know what? No consequences. I'm not talking about her being shut down for being a lesbian, but MAYBE, JUST MAYBE some consequences for disrupting class, speaking out of turn, and just flat out demanding that she be the center of attention. Some teachers are just as bad. I'll give you an example: My Bio teacher last year presented the theory of global warming as fact, and in a sense, discouraged independent thought on the subject. Now my parents are die hard liberals, my mom a feminist, but I consider myself a miracle to not be so impressionable.

Personally, I think GW is real, but not to the extent that is being portrayed as the end all, apocolyptic issue that is going to cause the downfall of mankind. But other kids are not like me. I had a kid come up to me during PE and say, because it was warm out and he was sweating like a fat kid, "Man aint global warmin a .....?" It's gotten down to that. Kids aren't willing to look into it themselves, which makes me want to advise something to the teachers. I want them to not present controversial ideas as one sided things, portraying only what THEY and their side thinks only. I'd like them to make the kids think its OK to think otherwise or at least look into it for themselves.

Last edited by SR HaVoK; 10-07-2006 at 04:11 PM.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#230
10-07-2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR HaVoK View Post
Same, but that's not exactly what I meant. We aren't guided through the subject COMPLETELY in school until 9th grade here, but that doesn't mean the subject is completely absence otherwise. The idea and details of evolution are told to kids loooong before the actually unit was covered in my bio class.

I won't deny it. I live in one of the best areas in the country. That's the pure honest truth. I've lived here my whole life, was born in the hospital that's under a mile from my house, and the area is awesome.

But... and there's the but, this IS CA. As I said, there are smart people out here, both liberal and conservative, but in CA I've noticed there are so many liberal blowhards it's quite remarkable. Some of the kids have become so indonctrinated with their hatred for Dubbya, they would literally, and LITERALLY, sacrifice themselves in order to take him out. (think suicide bomber). They are the type who, while we are studying something so far from politics that it's amazing that they can even utter, "Bush sucks." It's amazing. We were talking about the circulatory system last year, and some kid with lesbian mothers yells Bush sucks, out of the blue. Another time a girl stood up in class, pronounced "I'm a lesbian" and you know what? No consequences. I'm not talking about her being shut down for being a lesbian, but MAYBE, JUST MAYBE some consequences for disrupting class, speaking out of turn, and just flat out demanding that she be the center of attention. Some teachers are just as bad. I'll give you an example: My Bio teacher last year presented the theory of global warming as fact, and in a sense, discouraged independent thought on the subject. Now my parents are die hard liberals, my mom a feminist, but I consider myself a miracle to not be so impressionable.

Personally, I think GW is real, but not to the extent that is being portrayed as the end all, apocolyptic issue that is going to cause the downfall of mankind. But other kids are not like me. I had a kid come up to me during PE and say, because it was warm out and he was sweating like a fat kid, "Man aint global warmin a .....?" It's gotten down to that. Kids aren't willing to look into it themselves, which makes me want to advise something to the teachers. I want them to not present controversial ideas as one sided things, portraying only what THEY and their side thinks only. I'd like them to make the kids think its OK to think otherwise or at least look into it for themselves.
That's strange, because I grew up in/live in Danville, and that's an incredibly upper-class part of California; and I went to a great public school there, yet I wasn't taught anything about evolution at all until I was in the 10th grade. The closest thing I had was my 6-8th grade science classes, and we only talked very loosely about biology, and there was absolutely no mention of evolution at all.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off