Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
02-07-2006
Default Evolution, Biology, and Genetics

This is so some of you guys can learn a bit more about evolution. Most people don't really know what it is about and that is absolutely does not have anything to do with god or religion. I guess I could include genetics with this too.

So if you guys have any questions or would like anything explained post it here. I have nothing to study for a while so I am bored and would like to keep my mind going. If not, ignore this and play some Halo.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 02-07-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
02-07-2006

This is great topic... Hopefully people wil make good use of it. It always bothers me when people say science is wrong, basing arguements solely in religion, when it can be prooven in the world around us. Genetic mutation is a fact. It neither prooves, nor disprooves G_d. If the creature with the mutation, whatever it is, survives to reproduce, it is more likely to have the change continue on to the next generation. And that is evolution at a glance.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
02-07-2006

God and religion will not be mentioned. Nor proved or discredited. The only time I will use it is if I say god I am bored. . . like I am now.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

ekattan
Level 37
Subtract from ekattan's ReputationAdd to ekattan's Reputation ekattan is stuck in campaign mode
Send a message via MSN to ekattan
02-07-2006

So where's the proof?

What proof do we have Darwin is right? All he submitted was a list of creatures and habitats they exist in, saying they evolved form this to that with no proof. And his only explanation is time.

How covenient for him that evolution takes place over thousands of years, luckily for him he won't be proven wrong until the sun goes out.

MarkedAchilles
02-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekattan
So where's the proof?

What proof do we have Darwin is right? All he submitted was a list of creatures and habitats they exist in, saying they evolved form this to that with no proof. And his only explanation is time.

How covenient for him that evolution takes place over thousands of years, luckily for him he won't be proven wrong until the sun goes out.
Everything is evidence for evolution. What he proposed was natural selection. How it works is individuals with better characteristics reproduce more than ones with not as good characteristics.

Species do not evolve in a linear fashion. That t-shirt I know you are wearing right now with the monkey walking up to a man is not evolution. Evolution is a bush not a line. There are many paths. 99% of the species that have existed have gone extinct. There are lots of species that were ideal for a portion of time and then went extinct from competition or ecological changes of millions of years, not thousands.

Darwin did not include time in his study. His studies led other to a long time wich was commonly thought even before him. He himself did not have those opinions until he confered with others.

Darwin wrote many books, many of the categorial as you said but they were to show the changes in species as they were isolated from eachother for different reasons. How genetic change (thanks to Mendel) was expressed in species visually. Take two species isolate them for a million years and just to chance they will change into two species that cannot breed successfully.

The proof has come mainly with genetic analysis, fossil analysis, and morphological analysis. Broad topics. Try to be a bit more specific you D.A.

RebRaG
Level 28
Subtract from RebRaG's ReputationAdd to RebRaG's Reputation RebRaG is a novice
Send a message via AIM to RebRaG
03-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Everything is evidence for evolution. What he proposed was natural selection. How it works is individuals with better characteristics reproduce more than ones with not as good characteristics.

Species do not evolve in a linear fashion. That t-shirt I know you are wearing right now with the monkey walking up to a man is not evolution. Evolution is a bush not a line. There are many paths. 99% of the species that have existed have gone extinct. There are lots of species that were ideal for a portion of time and then went extinct from competition or ecological changes of millions of years, not thousands.

Darwin did not include time in his study. His studies led other to a long time wich was commonly thought even before him. He himself did not have those opinions until he confered with others.

Darwin wrote many books, many of the categorial as you said but they were to show the changes in species as they were isolated from eachother for different reasons. How genetic change (thanks to Mendel) was expressed in species visually. Take two species isolate them for a million years and just to chance they will change into two species that cannot breed successfully.

The proof has come mainly with genetic analysis, fossil analysis, and morphological analysis. Broad topics. Try to be a bit more specific you D.A.
micro evolution is possible, macro evolution is impossible, proved by modern DNA studies.

micro evolution is the change in DNA structure that can lead a single species to differ from each other. for example, you take half of the world and divide it. the humans on the east and west. say you are not allowed to cross borders under any circumstances. after a while the east peepz wont be able to mate with the west people just from their DNA changing over thousands of years.. you've formed a new species, but the dna is still there.. you won't have any humans on the east or west gaining new organs such as a swim bladder or wings, we wouldn't adapt, its not in our DNA to grow wings, its phisically impossible.

all of that would lead to a conclution that darwins theory is wrong, however, it is right to some extent there is micro evolution and new species can be formed, but new Genus' can't be formed. that would prove darwins "tree of life" false it would make it look somewhat simillar to an actual web of life. that started with many different organisms, and then all of those organisms might have changed a tiny bit, MAYBE forming new species, but nonetheless no new genus' or phylum or ect.
lolwut?
MarkedAchilles
03-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebRaG View Post
micro evolution is possible, macro evolution is impossible, proved by modern DNA studies.

micro evolution is the change in DNA structure that can lead a single species to differ from each other. for example, you take half of the world and divide it. the humans on the east and west. say you are not allowed to cross borders under any circumstances. after a while the east peepz wont be able to mate with the west people just from their DNA changing over thousands of years.. you've formed a new species, but the dna is still there.. you won't have any humans on the east or west gaining new organs such as a swim bladder or wings, we wouldn't adapt, its not in our DNA to grow wings, its phisically impossible.

all of that would lead to a conclution that darwins theory is wrong, however, it is right to some extent there is micro evolution and new species can be formed, but new Genus' can't be formed. that would prove darwins "tree of life" false it would make it look somewhat simillar to an actual web of life. that started with many different organisms, and then all of those organisms might have changed a tiny bit, MAYBE forming new species, but nonetheless no new genus' or phylum or ect.
You have a LOT more reading before you can post in this thread. . . .

try reading the rest and then you can edit your post to correct yourself.

EDIT: And holy cow, I just re-read your post. . . have you even had a biology class yet?

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 03-28-2007 at 03:03 PM.
ekattan
Level 37
Subtract from ekattan's ReputationAdd to ekattan's Reputation ekattan is stuck in campaign mode
Send a message via MSN to ekattan
02-07-2006

But where is the proof? He wrote books right? Should I take in faith just like the bible?

Evolution has been considered a fact by scientists all over the world, but what experiments or proof have validated this fact? Or is it that it is just the most fitting theory, meaning it just makes sense to them so it must be true?

- There are no transitional links and intermediate forms in either the fossil record or the modern world. Therefore, there is no actual evidence that evolution has occurred either in the past or the present.

- Natural selection (the supposed evolution mechanism, along with mutations) is incapable of advancing an organism to a "higher-order".

- Although evolutionists state that life resulted from non-life, matter resulted from nothing, and humans resulted from animals, each of these is an impossibility of science and the natural world.

- The supposed hominids (creatures in-between ape and human that evolutionists believe used to exist) bones and skull record used by evolutionists often consists of `finds' which are thoroughly unrevealing and inconsistent. They are neither clear nor conclusive even though evolutionists present them as if they were.

Last edited by ekattan; 02-07-2006 at 02:38 PM.
cccpdemocracy
Level 49
Subtract from cccpdemocracy's ReputationAdd to cccpdemocracy's Reputation cccpdemocracy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to cccpdemocracy
02-07-2006

when did "it" start. life and all the order around us. i mean what happened. how did everything start?
MarkedAchilles
02-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcontrall
when did "it" start. life and all the order around us. i mean what happened. how did everything start?
Evolution does not deal with that. It deals with the history of life, not the origin of life. That is a whole nother thread Mr. Duff.

And everything that I have said is recorded and reviewed for you to look up if you want. It is nothing you need to "trust" me on, or believe. It is all stuff you can see for your self.