Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > Creators Platform

Display Modes Thread Tools
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
06-18-2010
Default FraGTaLiTy's HD Quality Tutorial 2.0 | x264 Encoding and 1080p Interpolation

Quote:
*Updated August 14th, 2010*

*NEW & RECOMMENDED* 2.0 Package. Click here to download

^Already updated and loaded with all pre-sets. Thanks to Nvinc1ble, we now know how to encode Halo videos without getting the "color loss problem". This new package includes the commands within the avs files.

I've also included pictures in the tutorial, and a preset for Youtube.

Something to note when interpolating: The higher the quality of the source file, the better the result.

Any who, off we go into the world of Quality. The following tutorials explain how to interpolate 720p footage to 1080p using Red Giant Instant HD 1.1, and how to encode to x264 using Megui. If you don't want to interpolate your footage and only want to encode your video, skip to Part B.

note: You can use Instant HD 1.1 to interpolate any footage into any resolution, but 720p to 1080p is most common, so that is what the first part of this tutorial is for specifically. If you want to see the comparison pictures of 720p vs interpolated 1080p using the methods below, check out these comparison pictures:

Raw 720p before encoding: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3226/720pb.png

After 1080p interpolation and before encoding: http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6...terpolated.png
Interpolation to 1080p and x264 Encoding Guide for Windows Users

by: FraGTaLiTy

Download the 2.0 Package at the top of the page, then check out the tutorials below

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 08-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
06-18-2010

I'd recommend .mkv as it seems to be more stable. I've been exporting mastroska only for over a year now.

FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crest View Post
I'd recommend .mkv as it seems to be more stable. I've been exporting mastroska only for over a year now.
Yeah, people just tend to be scared of file types they aren't familiar with.
RoboSteeze
Level 37
Subtract from RoboSteeze's ReputationAdd to RoboSteeze's Reputation RoboSteeze is a novice
Send a message via AIM to RoboSteeze
06-18-2010

If anyone has my Instant_HD AE script it would be helpful if you'd upload it.
3D services, mentoring, etc! Send me a PM

Aim: RobotikDesigns

FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSteeze View Post
that would be pretty leet.
Krayte
Level 22
Subtract from Krayte's ReputationAdd to Krayte's Reputation Krayte is legendary Krayte is legendary Krayte is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Krayte Send a message via Skype™ to Krayte
06-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSteeze View Post
Can't remember if you uploaded more than one version. This is the one i downloaded regardless: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7PID6VEO
RoboSteeze
Level 37
Subtract from RoboSteeze's ReputationAdd to RoboSteeze's Reputation RoboSteeze is a novice
06-19-2010

You're the man Krayte. I know there's a 1.1 floating around somewhere, but I'm gonna rewrite
it today anyhow.

Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
06-18-2010

Frag, I wanted to try Constant Quality, but I'm wondering what I should use. I have a mostly static video, with slight grain, basically dolly movements in a game. 1080p24. This is single pass right? It's 2:25 long, and at 8 Quant with the HD balanced preset.

Also, I can put a .flac in a mastroska right? My audio source is in flac, and it's been exported and stuff a few times in vegas but it's been in 44.1khz 16bit wav the whole time, so it's still lossless right?

Last edited by Crest; 06-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
06-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crest View Post
Frag, I wanted to try Constant Quality, but I'm wondering what I should use. I have a mostly static video, with slight grain, basically dolly movements in a game. 1080p24. This is single pass right? It's 2:25 long, and at 8 Quant with the HD balanced preset.

Also, I can put a .flac in a mastroska right? My audio source is in flac, and it's been exported and stuff a few times in vegas but it's been in 44.1khz 16bit wav the whole time, so it's still lossless right?
CRF is single pass, but that's not because it's not doing as good of a job. That's just because that's how CRF works. You sacrifice having an exact file size, that's about it.

Grain is going to make your file size huge because it's so random when using CRF's, so try a CRF value of 22ish.

I have no idea if you can embed FLAC to a MKV file, but you can include the flac file in the same folder as the mkv with the exact same name. If they names match and they are in the same folder, media player classic will use the FLAC file while you're playing the video.
RoboSteeze
Level 37
06-18-2010

Think you made a boo boo. CRF doesn't care about details like grain as much as VBR.