Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014
View Poll Results: Which videos should go through to the finals?
Toasty's halo reach montage 1 - edited by Zhestal 40 32.52%
Into the tranQ" A Halo 3 Montage (100% MLG) 50 40.65%
ThumbsUp and Piano Frenzy: Electric Feel 18 14.63%
Kiko Mia - INDEPENDENZA III ( Ryōsuke ) 39 31.71%
Diesel M2 34 27.64%
FatRat M3 51 41.46%
ROOTS - B SiK 40 32.52%
Delightful Dkahre/Sachiro 30 24.39%
Immortal Part III - GP and Edit by sk0ls 47 38.21%
The Wake Up - LocaL 35 28.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
BxSouljah
GET THE FCK OUT MY FACE!
BxSouljah's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 3,298
Subtract from BxSouljah's ReputationAdd to BxSouljah's Reputation BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000 BxSouljah IS OVER 9000
#161
01-30-2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasthashost View Post
Now, hear me out, but maybe these popular montage creators are the ones making the best montages? What? That's impossible? They got popular by simply being mediocre as fuck you say? Okay, I'll take your word for it champ.

Seriously, I get the bias here but you could say there's bias for people voting for the underdog for the sake of voting for the underdog. Or people voting for halo 1/2 to try to be OG or act like that montage is superior because of X or Y. Or even people voting for TranQ, Dutchy, Phurion or Kampy's of the world or any of the more popular users simply because they're big names in the community and like them more personally than the other contestants.

It's not a dick measuring contest. The intention of this contest is to encourage people to produce amazing videos and that's what we received. You can take your silliness elsewhere because holy shit if you cry more about this there'd be a pond for me to fish in.

I understand your points and I think your argument is valid. I still do not agree and I believe you're wrong.
iTwich
H1//H2 PC
iTwich's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inner Sphere
Posts: 1,836
Subtract from iTwich's ReputationAdd to iTwich's Reputation iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin'
#162
01-30-2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasthashost View Post
people voting for halo 1/2 to try to be OG or act like that montage is superior because of X or Y.
I'm not sure I see this as all that much of an issue. Halo 1 and 2 gameplay simply has much more depth to enjoy watching. Now I'm only talking about Roots and i3, but I'd argue they show the really impressive aspects of the games more than any of the newer videos, simply as a result of the skillcap being higher. Roots show incredible game knowledge, and exactly why one really good player could dominate a match so hard. i3 just shows insanely impressive mechanical skill, more so than any of the other video in the contest, even the others with competitive type gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
ITT - how abrasive the H2V community is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoNuts View Post
This is why I love playing with Twch. He's the most lovely, helpful, encouraging, bright-side looking and kindest teammate ever.
Scace
Skc the legend - tranQ
Scace's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 605
Subtract from Scace's ReputationAdd to Scace's Reputation Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000
#163
01-30-2015
Default

I guess I know why these are called heats. eh? eh? Anyone?
Wanny
Top Tier Director
Wanny's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,233
Subtract from Wanny's ReputationAdd to Wanny's Reputation Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Wanny
#164
01-30-2015
Default

Kys
Dante
THF VIP Member
Dante's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,276
Subtract from Dante's ReputationAdd to Dante's Reputation Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000 Dante IS OVER 9000
#165
01-30-2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scace View Post
I guess I know why these are called heats. eh? eh? Anyone?
>:|
TIFE LIFE
LiLxHustla
Level 15
LiLxHustla's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 290
Subtract from LiLxHustla's ReputationAdd to LiLxHustla's Reputation LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000 LiLxHustla IS OVER 9000
#166
01-30-2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scace View Post
I guess I know why these are called heats. eh? eh? Anyone?
6/10



#BarelyLegal
LocaL
Level 17
LocaL's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 367
Subtract from LocaL's ReputationAdd to LocaL's Reputation LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000 LocaL IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to LocaL Send a message via Skype™ to LocaL
#167
01-30-2015
Default

I find it incredibly hard to even place votes, since it effectively knocks me out of the competition. But I'll still vote after finishing this post.

In order

1) ROOTS

2) Toasty

3) Into the TranQ

4) FatRat

5) Immortal

Seems I finally got over my own personal view of what this contest should be, and can really see the videos for what they are. This is a Movie competition, not an Editing comp or Gameplay comp. I saw all these videos relatively soon after release and I remember my initial reactions to each. Which is arguably the most important factor -- what you INITIALLY think. I've also re-watched each one.. the purpose of re-watching is to take a closer look at what I enjoyed, and why I enjoyed what I enjoyed. Now there's been some time for them to sit.... and I now have thoughts.

I'm gonna review these out of order. Hope that's okay.........

Immortal Part III..... I do love this video. It has a certain badass feel to it... I think sk0ls saw that in his gameplay -- halo 2, competitive, "serious" gameplay -- and let it shine through editing/songs/clip choice. Watching his clips makes me feel like I'm right there with him destroying other GOOD halo players. I'm actually very glad he has kept up the h2 content. Along with Hyena, Piano Frenzy, and some other people I'm forgetting.... he's giving us types of gameplay that no-one else is really doing at the moment. I mean yeah, there's people still playing halo 2. But getting clips like this, and actually putting them into videos.... it's very fun to keep up with skols' channel.

That being said..... there's one problem. The video is too short.. or it feels too short. Every time I watch it, the credits seem to come out of nowhere. It's like right when I start getting into the video --- wall of text. i mean I enjoyed reading what he had to write... but on a re-watch, I tune out and/or close the video at this point. Obviously there are more clips playing, but the fact that there's text rolling right below/next to them takes me out of it. I just wish there was like, 3 maybe 4 more minutes of Montage before the credits start.

So to sk0ls: thank you for this video. i honestly like it a lot. It just didn't feel....... "big" enough to win the contest.

FatRat M3.......... this is the only video I've re-watched strictly for gameplay. Idk, maybe I'm just too much of a fatrat fan... but I love the FUCKing gameplay in this. And it's worth noting that, in general, i HATE multi team with a smoldering passion. It's unbearable for me, usually. So obviously fatrat's doing something right... i'm not saying it's the best gameplay ever, but it was my favorite. Best way to put it: he makes you forget you're watching multi-team (sometimes). He has such an enjoyable way of operating in halo 3 that I just love.

And for that reason, I find the editing to be almost exactly as it should be. I say almost... because it definitely wasn't perfect. I love the effects that he did. I love that he incorporated angles. But: there should have been more effects! He should have kept up that fucking awesome feel that was kicked in by the narrows ceiling ricochet overkill -- holy FUCK i love that clip. and the fact that the pace of the music picks up --THAT'S why I still watch videos, i like that exciting shit. Unfortunately....... that excitement kind of gets buried. I mean yeah, there's some more angle usage from this point forward, and he keeps doing some effects --- but it still feels very Apex-inspired for the entire tage. And forgetting whether he has the editing ability to pull off an awesome fucking feel for the rest of the tage or not --- the song(s) demanded it. And the soundtrack --- the whole project really.. -- was hugely ambitious for this fact. I just don't quite think FatRat pulled it off. The editing feels... juvenile. If that makes sense. And given that I saw tweets of his saying he was pushing the deadline... no judgement held. Not one bit.

Now, with that ^ said.......... i'm so glad fatrat made this video. It's got that "big" montage feel, which I love, and which heavily influences how I vote..... thank u fatrat.

Alright Into The TranQ........... This is a cool video. Kind of had a heart attack when I read SillyGoose's name in the title. I knew TranQ was releasing this -- and I knew Silly was releasing SOMETHING --- but it never occurred to me. Upon first watch, I had a serious thought that this might win 1st place. I mean, it's undeniable that it kills most other entries in almost every aspect. It'd almost be easier to talk about what I didn't like before saying what I did, because there was so little to dislike. The gameplay is fucking unbelievable for MLG Halo 3. Just bonkers compared to what you ever usually see. And on skilled players. That's so impressive, and fucking great to watch. It fit well with the songs, the editing, and just the whole feel of the video. It felt like an MLG video.

Here's the problem. When i see H3 in a montage, it's gotta do a LOT for me to enjoy it, because I've seen so many. Without a doubt 80-90% of the videos i've watched are Halo 3. And because of that...... you need to abide by a certain precedent. Like there needs to be variety, for one. Given similar caliber, I can't watch an all MLG video and enjoy the gameplay more than a Social + MLG video; in fact, I can probably enjoy social gameplay by itself even more than MLG. MLG is SO specific. Social gameplay can be: multi team, team slayer, social slayer, snipers (I mean I consider these to be "social", It's just the way I look at them -- obviously team snipers/slayer are ranked playlists). Social gameplay can have SO much variety. But MLG..... that's a pretty specific type of clip. Like just by definition it will look less varied. What makes up for that? Well with MLG clips the skill of opponents, the opponents themselves, and the competitive atmosphere which brings upon interesting scenarios (stuff like: tied 2-2 in a CTF game, player clutches a headshot triple and runs back flag to win the game). That stuff makes MLG gameplay interesting. And where is that in Tranq's vid? Nowhere really. I mean there's a couple spots where we get uniqueness -- like the pit double kill on the two guys chasing him around s1, which was sweet -- and a few other clips that I'm forgetting at the moment. But other than that it's very standard.

The point being? I don't see a real X factor to the video. It doesn't separate itself too far from the rest of halo 3 MLG tages. And I'm getting bored of those, sooner rather than later.

Now I wanna talk about the editing in more detail. Here's what I like: there's a clear theme. Maybe even multiple themes. The first song has a fast, modern style to it. Then the second and third songs are old school, with less flashy theater work, and with some big effects sprinkled in (which I liked). What I didn't like was the fact that there was a third song at all. I mean actually the third song is arguably my favorite, but it didn't fit.

This would have been a KILLER video if it ended after the Scary Kids song. I mean fuck, it would have just been so balanced. 1) Intro - 2) Flashy First Song - 3) Old School 2nd Song - 4) Credits. Shit, I would have liked that a lot.

But that's not what we got. And we have to analyze (lol) this video on its own, apart from however I would've liked it to be. The first body song of this video is something I'll keep watching because the fucking angle flow is so good. God damnit, I love it a lot. And I don't even understand it half the time. I will for sure be looking at some parts frame by frame to realize how silly did this shit. Second and third songs are enjoyable for what they are -- a blast from the past. I'm an MLG guy, so I watch lots of MLG videos to get pumped up to play. I'll definitely be doing that with this, got it downloaded and everything.

But..............can't vote for this to win. Didn't have that "WOW" factor that I need in a winner where it just continues to blow my mind. Was relatively great for what it is, but not a worthy video. I think it comes down to Gameplay vs Editing vs Creativity/Uniqueness. This falls short in the Creativity department. Still FUCKING sick though, and great.

Toasty's M1. Maybe I'm biased because I'm good friends with Zhestal. Idk. All I know is I like this video more than those first 3, and I have always liked it upon every watch. Like fuck. This video would not be what it is without the third song. Holy shit the third song brings this video home. First two songs have a very similar feel. That dreamy/electro feel (2nd song is more electro, and 1st song is more dreamy. These are VERY similar traits though.) But then the 3rd song is nothing like the first two. It's got that gritty, cage-match (lol), almost fight club feel but with a zhestal punch. And this is great on its own ----- but it's the interplay between these three songs that makes this video GREAT. The fact that it ties itself together.

It feels like three big parts to a puzzle....... with the credits acting exactly as they should -- as an add-on.

Now for the gameplay.... Honestly it was great. Can't really say it needs more variety, because it's got a fuck ton of playlist variety and whatnot (even a few nade launcher clips). It's hard to enjoy Reach gameplay too much.... but Toasty did a fine job at having enjoyable plays. Very impressive high multi-kills too, which is a must-have. I guess the lack of that many MLG clips should get to me, but honestly I didn't really mind it. When watching this video you kind of forget that there are different playlists.... it just feels like watching Halo Reach. Of course, this is easier to do since there's less Reach social gameplay out there (or at least I've seen less). [To compare to Diesel's M2 clips: I don't really know who had better clips, but Toasty's were put together in a way that was more enjoyable. I mean if Diesel's video had that "Winner"-like quality to it, as a whole, it would be up here with the rest of these vids. But as it stands, Diesel's didn't do it for me. Just thought it was relevant to bring up the other video that had killer Reach clips in this heat.

Alright what's wrong with the video? The fact that it's not THAT ambitious/big/different of a video. It's great on its own, and i vote it above other entries for its integrity and fullness -- but it's not something out of this world, by any means. We've seen the formulaic reach (or h3) all social montage, with a few loosely connected songs, and credits roll. We've seen it (maybe not with this caliber of editing, or caliber of clips, or what have you), many times over the years. It didn't have something to really separate it completely from the crowd -- similarly to how TranQ's vid didn't separate itself from the crowd. The difference being that Toasty's vid is more enjoyable, more thoroughly edited, and more tasteful (I'm probably biased since I'm an editor, and Toasty's vid is more editing focused). I know we shouldn't judge stuff for how much work was put into them (editing wise), but Toasty's vid had that layer of polish which you see with big amazing creations, Tranq's did not (as much).

ROOTS

Fuck man, I think this should win. When I watched it for the first time my jaw was dropping. Here's what led to that........... first of all the gameplay. What occurred to me really wasn't the skill behind the shots/plays, as much as the excitement and astonishment that I felt while watching him pull off those snipes. I mean, jesus christ I haven't seen anything so entertaining in a long time, gameplay-wise. The shots he pulls off---the way he whips the h1 sniper---it's just fucking enjoyable to watch. And it looks so unique, so different from anything you see in montages today. I was so blown away by this when I first saw it, but never vocalized my opinion because I buried it underneath my pretentious view that a video needs good/heavy editing. I'd been watching the entries only for the editing, and I realize that now -- that's why I had such shitty thoughts about videos like Immortal p. iii and this. Now that I've had time to step back from that retard mindset, and start judging videos for their ACTUAL enjoyability as halo videos, and their integrity as creations -- I see this as the best in this heat. It's not even just the gameplay -- the editing too. First of all, watching a Halo 1 video and seeing ANGLES is something I didn't expect, and something that both blew me away, made me respect B SiK, and allowed me to see something SO unique that had been missing from every video I've ever watched in the entirety of halo (almost. I think there are some h1 videos out there with worthy angles, just can't think of any at the moment). It felt like a movie. A really enjoyable, distinct, smooth and surprising kind of halo movie. It also grabbed for me the memories of playing halo 1, the idea that everything started with this one...... none of these other videos would be possible if it weren't for halo 1. their roots. Now that's not a reason this should win on its own -- it's just a thought that crossed my mind while watching it. And it contributed to my perception of the video.

Overall, I will re-watch Roots the most because it feels the most legendary to me. It's got that separating factor that none of these other videos had and that's why I'm voting for it to win in the finals. I feel like my taste in montages has changed due to this Movie Comp and I'm sure that's a good thing. A sign that things are working in the halo community. That videos are still having an impact on us, on me.

There isn't one video in this heat that stands out completely from the rest. There's no Dutchy M2 of this contest. But I stand behind my decisions. The above listed are my favorite picks.

I FUCKING wish I had the mental capacity to review each and every video in length, along with videos that got knocked out like Game Over... seriously some nasty shit didn't advance. Also RYOSUKE deserves a real review, and i have honest reasons why i didn't pick it for top 5. i don't have to energy to type more tho. This review is like 2,500 words long..... I feel like I should end it now. Thank you Movie Comp 2014 for brewing so much motivation in me, not only to write this review but to go make vids. I wanna make my own halo movie, like what all of these vids were set out to achieve (and what my vid was supposed to be). Marksman hit the head right on the hammer with his post about the wake up..... i agree with it completely. Except for the part about the credits --- i had the idea for those credits sitting in my cranium for months before making them, they were not really rushed at all. But the rest of the video, yeah I didn't have time to make it really good. Mad ideas, mad little time. Anyways thanks for reading.

Last edited by LocaL; 01-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Piano Frenzy
Level 13
Piano Frenzy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 196
Subtract from Piano Frenzy's ReputationAdd to Piano Frenzy's Reputation Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided Piano Frenzy is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Piano Frenzy
#168
01-31-2015
Default

Hey I just realized my H4M2 wasn't added to the heat. Probably by accident, but I think I should at least get a participation trophy.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
slater ohm's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: day care
Posts: 23,369
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
#169
01-31-2015
Default

rewatching em all again.. AAARRGGHH so hard

edit: wow that was a great post Local, epic write up. Glad the comp did so much for you!


THF




Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late

Last edited by slater ohm; 01-31-2015 at 08:27 AM.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
slater ohm's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: day care
Posts: 23,369
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
#170
01-31-2015
Default

voted Toasty, tranQ, Diesel, ROOTS and Wake up.
I cant figure out my reasons clear enough in my head to write em out, and Im still doubting myself but Ive been giving this thought since this round started and I gotta stop and decide at some point.


THF




Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off