Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014

Display Modes Thread Tools
thestrangestick
Level 14
Subtract from thestrangestick's ReputationAdd to thestrangestick's Reputation thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
01-06-2015

I'm glad my review came off the way I intended. Re-reading it, I just want to stress that this is by no means a bad montage. It's pretty damn good, in fact. It's just a shame when the formula for one of the all time greats was there. I have so much respect for Goose's editing ability and TranQ's gameplay.

That being said, taste also has to be factored in, and clearly plenty of people disagree with me. The majority of feedback seems to be overwhelmingly positive, which is great for you guys.

Good luck in the competition!

Rhis
Gucci Bacchae
Subtract from Rhis's ReputationAdd to Rhis's Reputation Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000
01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwich View Post
Being as it was Gabe editing your GP for the longest time... it checks out. You know what you're talking about there.
it took seemingly years of convincing to get me to adapt that mindset; Gabe was right all along and i am much wiser in that department because of his efforts.

Regards,
JoshNgton
THF VIP Member
Subtract from JoshNgton's ReputationAdd to JoshNgton's Reputation JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000 JoshNgton IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to JoshNgton
01-06-2015

watched before reading the note on the intro...I really thought this was a halo 4 montage by tranq till basically the first clip and thought it was funny how goose used a h3 spartan in h4 and sachiro used h4 spartan in h3...starting to ramble.

I kinda expected after the intro for there to be more 3d effects throughout the montage, dunno why I thought goose was gonna dazzle us with mad 3d skillz

anyway I always think sillygooses edits are insane, smooth transitions and angles all flowing together seamlessly though the masked spartan against a blurred background thing might have been done a bit too many times in this video. The gameplay was solid, would have liked to see some tranq audio reactions in video because I know he must have been streaming on at least one of these clips but thats nitpicking and would have helped immersion.

stellar video, songs gave me a phurion and fluxy dualtage feel but its not my type of music I usually listen to so I probably wont remember them tomorrow, kinda wished there was more of a memorable hook.

the pit sequence linking up a bunch of doubles or sick clips in a row on the same map with the a large amount of 3rds was solid gameplay but looked like something you would do for same game kinda thing

also really liked the 2v1 s1 pit part, nearly perfect build up and pacing

between sachiro and dkahre vs goose and tranq for me (from what I have watched so far)

<3

srry for lack of formatting cba
Gorillars
Level 26
Subtract from Gorillars's ReputationAdd to Gorillars's Reputation Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000
01-06-2015

god damned so good. editing was top notch and tranQ's gameplay is just amazing. everything looks so smooth, tranQ you are just one precise killing machine.
sick shots everywhere.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys this way more than noob farming in multiteam.
I'm sure that I will rewatch this a couple times in the future. I got the feel that you two created an iconic Montage that will be talked about even in years.
Member of the Halowheelmen.com community.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gorillars
tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-07-2015

Oh, shoutout to everyone that actually took time to write your detailed thoughts and criticism here. I know I can't find the energy to do that to any videos anymore, so I truly appreciate and respect that you would do that.

When everything comes down to everything, no one is downright hating this video, or think it was bad - so my goal has been met. A big video that most people enjoy. Very grateful, such humble. Thanks, ya'll.
Scace
Skc the legend - tranQ
Subtract from Scace's ReputationAdd to Scace's Reputation Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000 Scace IS OVER 9000
01-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranQ View Post
Oh, shoutout to everyone that actually took time to write your detailed thoughts and criticism here. I know I can't find the energy to do that to any videos anymore, so I truly appreciate and respect that you would do that.

When everything comes down to everything, no one is downright hating this video, or think it was bad - so my goal has been met. A big video that most people enjoy. Very grateful, such humble. Thanks, ya'll.
Thank you man!
Deany
Level 14
Subtract from Deany's ReputationAdd to Deany's Reputation Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana Deany taps Cortana
01-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranQ View Post

You are such a great person. Thank you for everything Chris. Good luck for your future.
Tastro
uber n00b (level 2)
Subtract from Tastro's ReputationAdd to Tastro's Reputation Tastro is legendary Tastro is legendary Tastro is legendary
Send a message via Skype™ to Tastro
01-14-2015

The Download Link is broken.
tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-14-2015

Uploaded it for ya, bud - https://mega.co.nz/#!6EZg0RQT!5dcDnm...Oi_cWbwghfXZDk

If a mod could update the OP that'd be swell!
Omn1science
Level 15
Subtract from Omn1science's ReputationAdd to Omn1science's Reputation Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin'
01-17-2015

So I woke up early to drive to school the day this was dropped, and as I had to be back early I couldn't watch it until after a 5 hour drive. I have always been a huge Silly fan (Makowski is easily in my top 3 Reach videos) and given the fact that tranQ is tranQ, to say I was hyped when I finally got to sit down and watch this is a huge understatement.

The reason I've decided to wait until now to post anything is because I wanted to really give this video time to sit with me and give it a chance before I said anything.

First off I'll say the intro was obviously fucking awesome. 3D wasn't Atie level or anything but whatever, it was fantastic and one of the best intros I've seen in a while.

With such a creative intro, I certainly didn't expect the rest of the video to go the way it did. As much as I hate to say it, after the intro there was just a total lack of anything really interesting in terms of the editing. Where's the insanity of Makowski's second song? Where's your ridiculously creative angles? Where's Sandman announcing his power level and jumping out of Sanct? There were some cool transitions but nothing insane either. Nothing like what Zhestal or MK did in their entries. I just felt like almost every piece of editing work, be it effects or angles or whatever, was something someone else had already done, albeit more clean/just slightly better. The whole video just felt so so generic to me. Maybe its just me, but I've already seen approximately a billion H3 MLG tages, given that the game has been out something like 8 years at this point. I really believe that both editors and players, but especially editors, have a responsibility to make their videos different. At this point if you're working with H3 you're working with a game that has been played to death and edited to death, and at least for me personally it just doesn't cut it to watch "clean" videos anymore. Maybe that is just me, but I really think the future of Halo editing lies in creativity.

It was especially heartbreaking given that we all know tranQ streams a ton and must have tons of epic reactions to his clips. There was so much potential here to make a unique and inspired video.

On top of that, thestrangestick really hit the nail on the head when he talked about the pace. Insane clips like the stick exterm on Heretic, the killtac on Construct, etc were all pulled into and out of my face so quickly that none of it really registered. A huge part of editing is to uplift and highlight the nastiest clips in the video, not to breeze by them. When the crazy clips are placed right next to the fillers doubles and moved through at exactly the same pace, its really a struggle to actually pull anything about the quality of the gameplay out of the video. Watching the video by tranQ included in the download really shows the truth of this. Just as an example when I watched the clip where there's a flag glitch beatdown for the overkill on Pit in Silly's video, my thought process was just sort of "seriously, a beat down overkill? What is this?". Watching it in tranQs vid I realized "oh shit, he must have either predicted the spawn or got a call out and had the presence of mind to flag glitch the guy because that's likely the only way he could snag the over". I think especially with this kind of gameplay where a lot of it is not necessarily hugely flashy because you're playing kids hooked up to a machine that harvests their sweat in order to fuel their Xboxes, if its pulled away from me so fast I can't see the thought process that makes the gameplay so smart and good it just comes across as boring.

Speaking of the gameplay, this video really should have been at bare minimum one song shorter. It really seemed like there was a ton of filler clips throughout this video. Why wouldn't you just cut that out and make every clip in the video something worth watching? Your standards could have been so so so much higher. Again I'm probably a victim of overhype here but after watching FatRat grab the standards for social gameplay in H3 and throw them right in my fucking face like it was some kind of joke that those standards even existed, I was really hoping tranQ would do the same for competitive gameplay. The gameplay was obviously extremely good, but it really didn't blow me away in the same way Fatrat's video did.

One thing I will say though is that if the pacing had been better I would say that this video would probably be the most technically perfect video ever produced. Although I just knocked you earlier for focusing on "clean" effects and editing, what you did do you did to perfection. So huge props for that, obviously.

As I usually say when I write something negative, I hope I didn't come off as too much of a twat. Both you guys obviously created a great video, it just didn't appeal to me personally.

Last edited by Omn1science; 01-17-2015 at 03:05 PM.