Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014

Display Modes Thread Tools
tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-06-2015

Anyone found any of the easter eggs in this? Maybe found an alternate version somewhere and want to tell me what they thought of that?

On another note, thanks for all the kind words. First time I've been a apart of a hugely hyped project, and first time in a long time where I didn't do everything myself. Glad most of you weren't disappointed. If this is my final business (and I really hope it isn't), then it's not a bad one to go out on.

Thanks again.
thestrangestick
Level 14
Subtract from thestrangestick's ReputationAdd to thestrangestick's Reputation thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
01-06-2015

That was interesting.

Amazing gameplay, and amazing editing, for sure (SillyGoose has been talented as fuck for years now) but it just seemed to mesh together so badly for me.

Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan of the songs, but it went beyond that. I always get frustrated when I see amazing clips getting condensed down so that average clips can also get the spotlight when it might be better just to toss the average clips. While none of the clips in this montage were average by normal standards, a montage defines its own standards for gameplay as the viewer adjusts to the skill of the player.

It reminded me of the Snip3down montage, where I was left wondering why I was sitting through a 15 minute montage where the skill level of the clips was 'damn high' when I could have been watching a 7-10 minute montage where the skill level could have been 'fucking godly m8'. It seemed like every single clip was rushed to fit them all in. After two views back to back, I can barely remember any standout clips, which is madness when there were clearly so many in there. In this kind of montage which is packed with clips, I get the idea of rushing through some of them, but all of them?

It just seemed like such a shame. It seems common sense to me to go to great efforts to highlight the creamiest de la creamy clips - most huge montages I can think of have special sequences for their standout clips because those are the ones the editors (and presumably the players) want the audience to take away. I remember at around 10:50 TranQ gets a ridiculously dirty killtacular which was probably one of my favourite clips - and it is hurried past, just like the noscope doubles. The whole clip is done within 10 seconds, which seems madness for a crazy MLG killtac. I didn't even have time to get hyped, because the next clip was ushered in before I could even start to appreciate the last one. That was basically my main problem with this tage: everything felt so hurried, when I wanted it to be the opposite.

There is a general rule with Halo montages where the last shot matters so much to the integrity of the clip. If you get the world's sickest OMLG 360 noscope all headshot triple, a beat down over can throw off the awesome rating of the play. It's one of those sad but true things. When you decide what gameplay to throw in, you have to factor this in. Even if it seems a crime to discard a clip just because the ending is sloppy, it's just one of those hard decisions you have to make if you want a great tage that really stands out. There were some great clips with amazing starts and then less amazing endings that could easily have been thrown out. Considering I'm struggling to remember any of the clips now, the trade-off would have been way better had you cut the clips down and made the ones you kept stand out.

My last issue is that because every clip had angles thrown in, it seemed to make them completely arbitrary. The angles were sick, but if by a minute in you are just expecting the formula of 'cool shot + cool angle + cool shot' then the viewing gets way more pedestrian. The best angles and the effects are the ones the viewer least expects, IMO.

Overall, like I said, I can entirely appreciate the level of skill that went into getting these clips, and the level of skill demonstrated by the editing. It just didn't feel that good to me.

I'm going to re-download the huge rar file so I can watch that TranQ concept to see if the clips are more watchable there. I'm kind of annoyed I deleted it automatically.

EDIT: forgot to mention it but the intro was brilliant. Definitely worth downloading the movie just to see that sequence without YouTube throwing vomit all over it.

Last edited by thestrangestick; 01-06-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Lambee
Level 15
Subtract from Lambee's ReputationAdd to Lambee's Reputation Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield
01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranQ View Post
Anyone found any of the easter eggs in this? Maybe found an alternate version somewhere and want to tell me what they thought of that?
You were on top of your mental game during one play on Narrows (4:21). As you weren't fooled by the supposedly final warrior. Always make sure to kill people with schizophrenia twice.
Lambee
Level 15
Subtract from Lambee's ReputationAdd to Lambee's Reputation Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield Lambee finally popped his Bubble Shield
01-06-2015

Rewatched. Further easter egg comments:

The shaking effect, appearing at the 4:20 (fourtwenty) mark, leads to the transition for the clip (killing schizofrenie twice) mentioned in my previous post. This can be seen as a warning by Sillygoose, by which he claims that cannabis use can lead to psychosis (not sure if I'm serious).

Also possible psychological gamertag wordplay with the play on The Pit at 4:40, with the rewind highlighting that trauma is bad. Since you beforehand (Oddball Exterm on Guardian) had killed Spartan Ze Dog for the triple as well.
Element
Level 37
Subtract from Element's ReputationAdd to Element's Reputation Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Element
01-06-2015

wut^

iTwich
H1//H2 PC
Subtract from iTwich's ReputationAdd to iTwich's Reputation iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin' iTwich is osageballin'
01-06-2015

Trying a little too hard, maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
ITT - how abrasive the H2V community is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoNuts View Post
This is why I love playing with Twch. He's the most lovely, helpful, encouraging, bright-side looking and kindest teammate ever.
Lambee
Level 15
01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
wut^
Haha, the Sillygoose warning is over the top.

But the psychological (trauma) wordplay, with the two clips on Spartan Ze Dog, may have been done intentionally (I believe). Especially considering the "falling" sequences in both the Guardian play and the play on The Pit. Sorry Buddy is the gamertag of the opponent "falling" on Guardian (vertical split effect at 4:34), and Spartan Ze Dog is the one "falling" on The Pit (4:46).
Lambee
Level 15
01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwich View Post
Trying a little too hard, maybe.
Well, not compared to the level of detectiveness you need to find Hyena's easter eggs... But, hey, at least I tried!
tranQ
Level 31
Subtract from tranQ's ReputationAdd to tranQ's Reputation tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000 tranQ IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to tranQ
01-06-2015

Holy shit what the fuck your brain is weird, hahahahah.

I meant more like, you can find my face in the video somewhere for example. We're not trying to plant subliminal messages that will make you kill Obama or some shit, calm down : D
Hyena
Lightning Sniper
Subtract from Hyena's ReputationAdd to Hyena's Reputation Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000 Hyena IS OVER 9000
01-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambee View Post
Rewatched. Further easter egg comments:

The shaking effect, appearing at the 4:20 (fourtwenty) mark, leads to the transition for the clip (killing schizofrenie twice) mentioned in my previous post. This can be seen as a warning by Sillygoose, by which he claims that cannabis use can lead to psychosis (not sure if I'm serious).

Also possible psychological gamertag wordplay with the play on The Pit at 4:40, with the rewind highlighting that trauma is bad. Since you beforehand (Oddball Exterm on Guardian) had killed Spartan Ze Dog for the triple as well.
hahahahaha

one day im gunna make a video just for you to fuck your brain