Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2014

Display Modes Thread Tools
PLaTaNo
F%* friends.
Subtract from PLaTaNo's ReputationAdd to PLaTaNo's Reputation PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to PLaTaNo
09-02-2014

Editing was dope as fuck, and the plays were sick. Would watch again for the music as well.
"I kick it with the plug nigga."

Omn1science
Level 15
Subtract from Omn1science's ReputationAdd to Omn1science's Reputation Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin' Omn1science is osageballin'
09-02-2014

I hate to be the hater, but I guess I just couldn't get into the editing in this video.

The pacing just felt so, so slow. For the first song I personally just didn't like the song, and the song itself was slow, so I thought, alright, I just don't like the song. There's nothing wrong with the pacing, I'm just projecting my personal preferences onto the editing.

However, when the second song after the interlude hit, I really felt like you just didn't get anywhere near the song itself's pace. There were so many times when you hit a beat, and then that beat would come around again and there would be nothing, and then it would come around a third time and you'd decide to hit it again. The inconsistency was really frustrating to me, and it felt like a ton of the gameplay was played out at half speed while the song was saying "speed up! speed up!". I really feel like a song that fast just shouldn't need anywhere near the amount of slowdowns and twixtor that you put on it.

Maybe I'm totally off the mark with this, but I almost think you went into this with the mindset that videos with heavy editing have an issue in that they make the gameplay more difficult to follow. So, your solution to this was to create a heavily edited video, but just have the editing be slow instead of fast. I think this is an admirable attempt to solve the biggest problem that plagues recent Halo videos, but ultimately good editing stays with the pace of the music the gameplay is set to. If you want to edit in this style I think you've got to pick much slower music.

I think what I've said above is why some people have said they felt like the flow is off.

At any rate, that's enough with the negativity. This was an awesomely creative video and definitely what this scene needs more of. I love that you brought so many unique elements in, from the movie clips to the subtle words on some of the clips. And despite what I said above, there were absolutely some points where the editing was right on point. The clip at 5:50 really stands out to me. And of course the quality was nuts.

Overall an awesome vid, I just think there were too many points where the song kept screaming for speed and the clips ended up being played out at half speed or somewhere around there. I really hope I didn't come off too negative. The only time I type these somewhat lengthy reviews is when I really think an editor is coming close to producing a perfect video and I want to offer my opinion on what could be a good way to cross that threshold.
Kiko Mia
E93 カブリオレ
Subtract from Kiko Mia's ReputationAdd to Kiko Mia's Reputation Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000
09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAE View Post
Damn.
Nice rage quit yesterday vs me an kadros, HOMEBOY!!!

@Platano

Thanks. Did you saw the clip at 4:05? with the name: 'Space Jam 2' seriously I already had an render with Michael jordan in the background trowing a penalty shot at the same speed as my nade did fly, Lmao.

@ J2

Th4Nk5 y0! I really miss playing with you and Uncut, somehow! The days when we owned the shit out of the SmG clan servers till we got banned were quite hilarious, and sometimes I just want to turn time back to feel this game like the way I used to. Anyways, Come back sometime, H2V is more active than ever atm, not even kidding.

Last edited by Kiko Mia; 09-03-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Kiko Mia
E93 カブリオレ
Subtract from Kiko Mia's ReputationAdd to Kiko Mia's Reputation Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000 Kiko Mia IS OVER 9000
09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omn1science View Post
I hate to be the hater, but I guess I just couldn't get into the editing in this video.

Lol, np Omn1science! appreciate the time of your review, but I hardly agree with what you've pointed out in your post. We definitely have such total different feel concerning the 2nd Body song and the flow of it. I don't even.

Quote:
There were so many times when you hit a beat, and then that beat would come around again and there would be nothing, and then it would come around a third time and you'd decide to hit it again. The inconsistency was really frustrating to me, and it felt like a ton of the gameplay was played out at half speed while the song was saying "speed up! speed up!". I really feel like a song that fast just shouldn't need anywhere near the amount of slowdowns and twixtor that you put on it.
respecting your opinion, but i really dont feel that way. I see where you're coming from, though.

Quote:
Maybe I'm totally off the mark with this, but I almost think you went into this with the mindset that videos with heavy editing have an issue in that they make the gameplay more difficult to follow. So, your solution to this was to create a heavily edited video, but just have the editing be slow instead of fast.
No, not at all. I pretty much went freestyle in it. I had no planned mindset on how to edit here. I just Love using Slow-Mo along with the beat. It suits H2 very very good, IMO. Also people have always pointed out how they love my use of that effect. and I like it as well. That's all.

Quote:
.. but ultimately good editing stays with the pace of the music the gameplay is set to. If you want to edit in this style I think you've got to pick much slower music.
''ultimately good editing''

''If you want to edit in this style I think you've got to pick''

No diss, but I nearly stopped reading your post here.

Quote:
This was an awesomely creative video and definitely what this scene needs more of. I love that you brought so many unique elements in, from the movie clips to the subtle words on some of the clips. And despite what I said above, there were absolutely some points where the editing was right on point. The clip at 5:50 really stands out to me. And of course the quality was nuts.
appreciate it

Quote:
Overall an awesome vid, I just think there were too many points where the song kept screaming for speed and the clips ended up being played out at half speed or somewhere around there. I really hope I didn't come off too negative. The only time I type these somewhat lengthy reviews is when I really think an editor is coming close to producing a perfect video and I want to offer my opinion on what could be a good way to cross that threshold.
No you didn't come off too negative, but as I've said you def see/feel this from a different point of view as I do. I wasn't striving for what you may think are the main Goals.

hey btw, your novus entry was my favorite. keep it up

Last edited by Kiko Mia; 09-03-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Skye
Level 10
Subtract from Skye's ReputationAdd to Skye's Reputation Skye finally popped his Bubble Shield Skye finally popped his Bubble Shield Skye finally popped his Bubble Shield Skye finally popped his Bubble Shield
09-03-2014

Well another favourite h2 montage besides ohem's. There're too many good entries now lol

Shady IIV
Level 10
Subtract from Shady IIV's ReputationAdd to Shady IIV's Reputation Shady IIV finally popped his Bubble Shield Shady IIV finally popped his Bubble Shield Shady IIV finally popped his Bubble Shield Shady IIV finally popped his Bubble Shield
09-03-2014

Cool, was quite fun to watch. Nice quality. It's horrible to go back and watch the low-res montages after this.
TRAE
Level 11
Subtract from TRAE's ReputationAdd to TRAE's Reputation TRAE is legendary TRAE is legendary TRAE is legendary
09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Mia View Post
Nice rage quit yesterday vs me an kadros, HOMEBOY!!!
My teammate was a fucking idiot. No rage, just a shitty game.

Tell kadros to try harder please.

Last edited by TRAE; 09-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Gorillars
Level 26
Subtract from Gorillars's ReputationAdd to Gorillars's Reputation Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000 Gorillars IS OVER 9000
09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
Well another favourite h2 montage besides ohem's. There're too many good entries now lol
this is so true
Member of the Halowheelmen.com community.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gorillars
Sparkasm
Level 69
Subtract from Sparkasm's ReputationAdd to Sparkasm's Reputation Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin' Sparkasm is osageballin'
09-03-2014

Noice
Titanium
an attractive implication
Subtract from Titanium's ReputationAdd to Titanium's Reputation Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Titanium
09-03-2014

really enjoyed this kiko. I liked the grimy/dark mood the music gave off, the editing fit the music perfectly as well. I felt the editing was a little slow at some points but it needed that to gel with the music, which I can tell is what you're going for based on the vibe your editing gave off as the video progressed. I did like the second song way more than the first, just because I feel that song was more what you were going for with your theme

overall a great entry to this competition and I am getting nervous because there is already a few great h2 submissions

AIM: Eh titanium