"Frenetic Array" - Edited by Mattisson 20 10.00%
"Line Of Sight" - Created by Abused Productions 9 4.50%
"Look Before You Leap 3" - Edited by Gary UK/Clay 40 20.00%
"Status Quo Team Montage" - Produced by Prestigious Films 16 8.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
LoS Br33zY
Level 11
Subtract from LoS Br33zY's ReputationAdd to LoS Br33zY's Reputation LoS Br33zY is a novice
08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
I am disappoint.

As a professional photographer and freelance wedding videographer, I spend a lot of time behind the camera. I love most of the entries in here, because it seems that those who took the time to capture the shots for each montage, really took time to think out and present each shot. With the exception of one.

Unfortunately, that montage is the one that is winning. Dutchy M2 is an excellent montage, with amazing frags, and mindblowing editing. However, the shots themselves bring nothing revolutionary - or even slightly different - from pretty much any other video before it. I was actually surprised this made it as a nomination. The shots were by no means awful. They were captured excellently, but I found them droll and boring in their execution. Which is okay, because in a montage it's really about the first person views and the killing. The cinematics should come second in a fast-paced video that's all about clip presentation.

I can't help but get the sneaking suspicion, that Dutchy is only winning because of his fan-base, and their lack of knowledge on the subject of cinematography. An ignorance proven more than once in this thread. I strongly urge everyone who has yet to vote, to go look into some terminology ( ie, panning, trucking, dollying, rule of thirds, rule of 180, etc.), then watch the video.
Turn off the music and watch the videos for just the camerawork.

Dutchy and all those involved in the production of your video:
Please take no offense to this. Your video is excellent, I just think it's a crime that it's winning over excellent entries like the BB, SQ, or LBYL.

Edit:
To whoever said something about mapping out every shot to fit the video: Welcome to every cinematographers' world. It's called a shot list, and it's not all too uncommon for people to draw out the shots and their movements before filming them.
I trust your definition more than Frag's.
Gamertag: LoS Br33zY
Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
08-01-2010

Still wondering how M2 is getting votes -_-
killerxjake
Level 11
Subtract from killerxjake's ReputationAdd to killerxjake's Reputation killerxjake is a novice
08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards View Post
Still wondering how M2 is getting votes -_-
ya, im literally wondering this too. Im not shutting down the video or anything im just saying that no one is really defending M2 but the vote count is still going up at a constant rate lol. So i guess the m2 fans are quiet or something....
Looking for anyone to play some H2 on XBC with.
~ killerxjake
NyCeSHoT
Level 26
Subtract from NyCeSHoT's ReputationAdd to NyCeSHoT's Reputation NyCeSHoT is a novice
08-01-2010

Dutchy fans just endulge in his multikills a little too much. It keeps them from looking at the other aspects of the video. I voted M2, and I have my reasons. But reasons really don't matter, only votes do. I'm not tyring to make others follow my vote. Thats all I've seen since the start of this competition. I look at the nominees, watch them, pick my favorite, then vote. I do vote according to the definition given by those in charge of this Comp. Its about what each individual likes the most. All the arguing is pointless.
Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
08-01-2010

You'd rather see some typical angles beat well-done, and well-thought out ones? That's my point in this, I liked M2 and all, and the editing/masking to the angles was ridiculous, but the angles themselves weren't anything new or special, especially compared to the other entries.
NyCeSHoT
Level 26
Subtract from NyCeSHoT's ReputationAdd to NyCeSHoT's Reputation NyCeSHoT is a novice
08-01-2010

Quote:
You'd rather see some typical angles beat well-done, and well-thought out ones? That's my point in this, I liked M2 and all, and the editing/masking to the angles was ridiculous, but the angles themselves weren't anything new or special, especially compared to the other entries.
It isn't about what I'd rather see. You are doing what I was talking about. Trying to make others like your selection more by given reason after reason.
Standards
Level 47
08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCeSHoT View Post
It isn't about what I'd rather see. You are doing what I was talking about. Trying to make others like your selection more by given reason after reason.
I'm not trying to get people to like the videos I like, just asking why they like theirs.
NyCeSHoT
Level 26
08-01-2010

Quote:
I'm not trying to get people to like the videos I like, just asking why they like theirs.
Understandable. I just try to avoid the nonsense but keeping my reasons to myself. Especially on a subject that is so sensitive. Some are voting according to Websters definition, and others are voting by the OP definition. It creates to much animosity between people. This Comp is about the enjoyment imo. I know its serious with money on the line, but at the end of the day its a montage competition. No need to ruin something enjoyable with all the BS.
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
08-01-2010

Cinematography in Halo videos is different from that of movies. Gameplay alone takes no artistic ability to shoot; in fact, there is no shooting of it at all. There's no setting up a camera, positioning players, or shooting particular parts of the level besides which ones the player enters and sees. First-person view is simply a replay of the footage; not a creation of or from it; however, using different speeds, color filters, or HUDs (Animatage, for instance) adds a whole other level of cinematography to first person POV footage. Also, .exe is not an example of 1st person POV cinematography; it's editing.

BB: Enjoyed the first sequence of upside-down angles and also the first scene introducing the BB, but after that, the repeats of each kinda lost their luster. Felt like it would've been way better to get each or either more in the middle of the action the second time instead of setting up for it again. The one angle on Pit with the mirror effect was neat, but I lost the significant connection to the clips preceding and after.

Contractus: Felt like angles just weren't as smooth and didn't flow with the movements or feel you were trying to get. The switch at 2:45 seemed extremely forced and randomly done. The chase scene on the Pit I felt also had a player leave the screen too often; usually art dictates filling the empty space, and I think that would have worked better for that part.

DM2: Scenes with the targeting/info of Spartans were crammed and broke up any flow you were trying to set up within those clips. First person scene also didn't really flow into the next clip, seeing as how the player would have just landed his jump, but the clip is rushed to him standing on top of the structure next to the flag.

FA: Placement and flow were fine for the most part, but the effects used within or as transitions hurt the effectiveness. I left my comments on intro in that thread so won't go into it here. 6:31 transition had cool, epic feel and went really well with the mood of the music.

LoS: Lots of angles seemed especially forced for synching purposes instead of trying to keep with a steady flow. I realize that the song is fast-paced and H3 is slow-paced, but cutting between all the angles and gameplay doesn't help contribute to the overall flow and presentation of the footage. Introductions to plays seemed fine, but transitions between and within them felt awkward and rushed to watch. Seemed like there was a strong emphasis on effects generation than actually capturing the plays from a cinematographic standpoint.

LBYL3: Nothing short of phenomenal; not perfect, but definitely awesome. I honestly dare anyone to argue against having this video win this category. Just because H3 allows an editor to utilize 3rd person view more easily and efficiently, doesn't mean it has to be done. Simple, yet effective, and went along with the flow in each part.

SQ: Must be the first time I've watched this since it first came out, but holy crap PTW, I hope to high heaven you didn't pick that first song (ughhh). 3rd song seemed more your speed, but it looked like the gameplay just couldn't keep up to the pace you were trying to set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCeSHoT View Post
Trying to make others like your selection more by given reason after reason.
I'm not going to endorse any of Standards' posts, or general trend of posting, but... the problem with all the stupid bullsh.t that goes on in a video forum, is that no one ever really has to explain it. And when you ask them and it turns out to be stupid bullsh.t, they get all offended and return to their teenage angst about what they're going to wear to the 8th grade dance. I personally didn't have to worry about such an issue because I had my dress on layaway months in advance.
Standards
Level 47
08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
And when you ask them and it turns out to be stupid bullsh.t, they get all offended and return to their teenage angst about what they're going to wear to the 8th grade dance. I personally didn't have to worry about such an issue because I had my dress on layaway months in advance.
Fucking love every single one of your posts