Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010
View Poll Results: Which video is the most original?
"The Animatage" - Edited by thestrangestick 74 32.17%
BiPoLaR NiCk Presents "The Final Montage" 13 5.65%
"Black Box" - Edited by s0r3 33 14.35%
"Frenetic Array" - Edited by Mattisson 12 5.22%
"Look Before You Leap 3" - Edited by Gary UK/Clay 77 33.48%
"Question Reality" - Edited by Hazmat 11 4.78%
"Veni Vidi Vici" - Edited by Atiemark 10 4.35%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
xOVERKiLLx117x
(・(ェ)・)
Subtract from xOVERKiLLx117x's ReputationAdd to xOVERKiLLx117x's Reputation xOVERKiLLx117x is a novice
07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards View Post
But these are the most original of the bunch
I'm just saying that's a really weak point, to say the video isn't original because lots of people jump. Doesn't make any sense.
QsK Carnage
Level 33
Subtract from QsK Carnage's ReputationAdd to QsK Carnage's Reputation QsK Carnage is a novice
Send a message via AIM to QsK Carnage
07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOVERKiLLx117x View Post
By the pure definition, none of the videos even really qualify for this category. Shooting people and jumping are things, lots of people do it, it's not original.
I've said it before, originality really has no place in H3. Twixtor, 3d tracking, the same angles over and over, no hud changing to hud mid-clip, no scope overkills, killamanjaros on people running in straight lines not shooting.

There are only a few videos that stick out as truly original, and it takes time to do so. (Dualtality was one, I know some more that are upcoming) But none of such videos exist in this competition.

Therefore we are forced to choose which ugly girl is the prettiest.

Don't get me wrong though, some videos had original points, black box had a good amount, debatable...but LBYL3 had some too, animatage definitely did, VVV had some points, but for the most part the videos on the whole don't truly stick out as original to me.

Edit: Jumping has been done before, it's not original to do something other people do. If it were to be the first video of it's kind, hell...I'll even be generous to say the first H3 jumping vid...it would win hands down.

But to say that not a lot of people do jumping videos, therefore it's original would pretty much be the same as me saying that a montage with clips against people who are the same skill level of the montager is original.

Last edited by QsK Carnage; 07-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.
crucifix
wsup den
Subtract from crucifix's ReputationAdd to crucifix's Reputation crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000 crucifix IS OVER 9000
07-27-2010

I'm seriously ganna kill Standards.
reow
Spoiler!
JP Syke
Level 17
Subtract from JP Syke's ReputationAdd to JP Syke's Reputation JP Syke is a novice
Send a message via AIM to JP Syke
07-27-2010

Animatage, really?

Aim: JPontheflo
or
Graphic designer│freelancer
Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by I0 CruciFiX 0I View Post
I'm seriously ganna kill Standards.
Give it some more time, we will pull through.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
Voting for your own video is kind of childish and not very sporting. It also makes you look a bit arrogant (ie 'mine's the best, DUH!'). I voted for Nick's 'cause I loved the style it had...
If he believes his video was the most original, there's nothing arrogant about voting for yourself. In past history, most people voted for themselves. I did, there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 07-27-2010 at 12:54 PM.
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
07-27-2010

edit: lol forget this part up here. realised i contradict myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards View Post
1. Multi-Kill montages (Every single video in this competition) have been done 1000000x more times. Checkmate.

2. TONS of creativity go into these jumps, unlike multi-kills, they are un-comparable in the way you're trying to make it. Unlike multi-kills, you will never see the same jump twice

3. Custom HUD has been around for a lonnnngg time, I've seen every effect in the animatage done in at least another form at least one time, the only thing I saw that I hadn't ever seen before was the flaming eyes transition. And this leads onto my next point. You said to be original, they have to BE DIFFERENT, well... LBYL3 did exactly that, I gaurantee, minus one or two jumps that people stole because the video got leaked a little early at one time, you have never seen any one of those jumps before.

/rant.
Just because montages have multikills, doesn't make it a multikill montage. It is a montage of plays done by the gamer. A multikill montage would be something like a king of the hill only montage, and that's a stretch.

Well, you'll never see the same multikill twice, unless of course there was a mistake and the editor accidentally re-used the same clip twice in the same or different video.

Even though I agree with the whole custom hud thing, you can't say that because you've seen an effect in another FORM means the newest effect isn't original. For instance, if someone had a transition where the reticule of one clip morphed into the gun used in the next clip, then another had the reticule of one clip morph into, say, an enemy from the next clip, the second transition is still original even though it's technically the same "form" (reticule morphing into something on screen in the following clip)

My take on this section of the contest, is which video is the most original as a whole. Not to look at each clip and go over your checklist of what makes an individual clip original, decide it passses the test, then move to the next clip. I'm sure the makers of LBYL3 researched or looked around to make sure their jumps hadn't been done before, which was the idea of their whole video: jumps you aint never f.cking seen. But because I haven't seen a specific jump doesn't make the video original. If a montage happened to be released where every clip was done from some weird angle or something you haven't seen before (i.e. overkill snipe on guardian from elbow to bottom blue lift) it wouldn't make my video overall an extremely original video. Sure I can say, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN AN OVERKILL SNIPE FROM WHERE I WAS TO WHERE HE WAS and I may be right, but that doesn't make my video original if it was created in the same standard montage format.

I don't think you quite understand what this section of the contest actually means.
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

So sleep becomes addicting

Last edited by XYOX; 07-27-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Stagga
Level 48
Subtract from Stagga's ReputationAdd to Stagga's Reputation Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Stagga
07-27-2010

The effing Animatage better not win.

The Animatage took what was already there and made it cartoon-like. He took the HUD and just redrew it. Anyone could have thought that one out. The amount of effort is commendable, but the final product wasn't good at all.

Black Box, however, gave us some angles, effects, and transitions that no one has ever seen or thought of, ever.

LBYL3..... I won't go there, because I know those jumps were extremely creative, but I think this is an editing-centered award more than gameplay-centered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
stagga stood with his palms in a sweat
wetter than eminems, i would bet
but his voice in a mic
was something to like
he'll be drowned in a pussy quartet
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldYrPistlSTR8 View Post
The effing Animatage better not win.

The Animatage took what was already there and made it cartoon-like. He took the HUD and just redrew it. Anyone could have thought that one out. The amount of effort is commendable, but the final product wasn't good at all.

Black Box, however, gave us some angles, effects, and transitions that no one has ever seen or thought of, ever.

LBYL3..... I won't go there, because I know those jumps were extremely creative, but I think this is an editing-centered award more than gameplay-centered.
Although I didn't vote for animatage, I think this is a retarded statement. Just because you COULD HAVE THOUGHT it, doesn't mean it's not original when someone does it
So sleep becomes routine

So sleep becomes addicting

CaptainCrunch
Level 13
Subtract from CaptainCrunch's ReputationAdd to CaptainCrunch's Reputation CaptainCrunch is a novice
07-27-2010

Tuffy, I guess I'm just a little confused as to how you are judging originality if it's not by the content of the video. You said you are judging the video as a whole? Well, duh. But the individual clips are what make up the whole video. If you have 20 original clips, then your video is going to be original. Just because you've seen a trick jump before, doesn't mean that our trick jumps aren't original. The majority of our trick jumps are ideas that have never been thought of and have never been done before. I.E. the individual clips that MAKE UP the whole picture are original. It's a weak point saying "since jump videos have been before, and this is a jump video then it must not be original."

But once again, I'm not really sure the point you were trying to make lol. Maybe I am agreeing with you here, but for some reason it came off like you were trying to say LBYL3 wasn't original because it is a jump video. However, other people are saying this, and so this needed to be addressed anyways.

and @hold your pistol straight, why the f..k do you think this is supposed to be more editing based? where do you get this idea? If I'm not mistaken. This is 'most original', not 'most original editing'. It means every aspect of the video.
~CaptainCrunch41

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-27-2010 at 01:29 PM.