Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010

Display Modes Thread Tools
oMa SkRiLLZ
Level 20
Subtract from oMa SkRiLLZ's ReputationAdd to oMa SkRiLLZ's Reputation oMa SkRiLLZ is stuck in campaign mode
07-18-2009

I'm looking forward to this competition!! I'm sure we will see some AMAZING videos!! I may enter, not sure yet, but I want to. We'll see!!
Dudeman27
Level 31
Subtract from Dudeman27's ReputationAdd to Dudeman27's Reputation Dudeman27 finally popped his Bubble Shield Dudeman27 finally popped his Bubble Shield Dudeman27 finally popped his Bubble Shield Dudeman27 finally popped his Bubble Shield
Send a message via AIM to Dudeman27 Send a message via Yahoo to Dudeman27
07-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTw View Post
Yeah, I think there's prizes for every sub category. Albiet they aren't much when compared to the top 3 videos, but it will assure at least the top 10 or so videos get SOMETHING.
Look at this '09 kid.

Ok, after reading everything, I think I might actually enter, IDK.

Sec0nd
Level 32
Subtract from Sec0nd's ReputationAdd to Sec0nd's Reputation Sec0nd is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sec0nd
07-18-2009

I would like to enter but I'd rather not pay the $10 cause I obviously won't win but I'd like to know how I would compete against the others.
|| TM22 ||
THF VIP Member
Subtract from || TM22 ||'s ReputationAdd to || TM22 ||'s Reputation || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000
07-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec0nd View Post
I would like to enter but I'd rather not pay the $10 cause I obviously won't win but I'd like to know how I would compete against the others.
If you enter, your video automatically gets uploaded to a YouTube channel with over 1,000,000 views and 40,000 subscribers. So, when you enter, your video is going to get a considerable amount of views than it normally would.
Stazima
Level 29
Subtract from Stazima's ReputationAdd to Stazima's Reputation Stazima is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Stazima
07-18-2009

The paypal hyperlink is broken. It leads to the logo. I will be entering a Machinima into this competition. Good luck to everyone.
Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
07-18-2009

I talked with Frag awhile ago and I think I'm going to find someone and edit their video.

Don't PM me asking me to do it. I'll be finding someone >_>

FPS Glimmer
Level 25
Subtract from FPS Glimmer's ReputationAdd to FPS Glimmer's Reputation FPS Glimmer is a novice
Send a message via AIM to FPS Glimmer Send a message via MSN to FPS Glimmer Send a message via Yahoo to FPS Glimmer
07-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpoint View Post
An interesting question, but Im not sure if there is one simple answer to it.

It couldve started with the middle/ending period of H2 and then snowballed and carried over into H3.

I know something I think of often is how H3 never had a true "Golden Age of Noobiness." Its kind of the period that everyone experienced with H1&H2 where they were getting acquainted with a popular game and exploring all of the features and randomness in it, and experiencing fun equally with the competitive element. Stuff like the dummy glitch, throwing the flag through walls, etc. Over time, however, people who were more experienced with the game naturally gravitated to a more acute form of play (or could also be conidered skewered) that was considered less nooby.

When H3 started, MLG was firmly established, people were already trying to focus on the most skilled/dominant way to play, and thus limited themselves in a game that (in my personal opinion) already naturally has more limits than the previous installments. Despite all of the tools like forge, cams, etc that were added, the overall feel and experience of the game didnt branch out in different directions for different users like it did in H2. When I used to cut on a H2 vid, I could feel a distinct view that the creator was sharing his personal experience of the game. Unfortunately, when I cut on an H3 vid, alot of it kind of feels generic and the same.

I said all of that mouthful to propose that maybe the emphasis on effects and technical editing carried over from H2, and took a firm hold on H3 vids simply because there are limited ways that the player could express themselves through footage alone. Idk, Im not a gaming social expert - just guessing here.

I just know that these days its hard for me to get through an entire vid - and even harder to watch one multiple times over and over again like I did with H2 classics.

P.S. - Thanks for mentioning COD. Cant believe I forgot about that one.
Wow, i really dont know what to say. What you say makes sense. I dont think anyone else could put it anymore better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurion View Post
If the clips are good, and they can speak for themselves, you dont need that much, just a good soundtrack, and at least editing to keep it entertaining(like Kampy's)

If the gameplay is sub par, or not very impressive, then yes I can see why it would make sense that its more about the editing because otherwise it could get quite boring.

I try and keep a nice medium in my videos, not going overboard, but still keeping the video entertaining while showcasing the gameplay.
I honestly loved kampy's montage. It felt like a montage, not a movie. To be honest i havent been that much hyped up into a montage since Reid's last one. Apex sparked me back into it. I understand why it lost in a video competition because dualtality had better editing plain and simple. I honestly didnt want dualtality to win because kampy reminded me of what i thought an actual montage was. When dualtality was going into a direction i though was for the worse. But i think its already too late. Look what what montages have become. When you get a chance to edit, people do it. Nothing subtle anymore. T

So i sit here, wonder why there is a video editing competition on a halo forum. Why cant it just be a halo contest? Why not just submit any video even if its not halo. Its all about the best editing right?

I honestly believe midpoint phurion and murda are some of the few people who i can take seriously here. This website has more and more unbearable people.

Noobus Maximus
Halo 3 is gay

Last edited by FPS Glimmer; 07-18-2009 at 01:25 PM.
II LeGeNDaRY II
Level 10
Subtract from II LeGeNDaRY II's ReputationAdd to II LeGeNDaRY II's Reputation II LeGeNDaRY II is a novice
07-18-2009

Niiiiiice ! Good thing im subscribed to Gear61 ! cant wait to see some great things.

My 1st Montage and Submission to Murda's Power Hour.

http://www.halo3forum.com/halo-3-vid...h3montage.html
|| TM22 ||
THF VIP Member
Subtract from || TM22 ||'s ReputationAdd to || TM22 ||'s Reputation || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000
07-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPS Glimmer View Post
So i sit here, wonder why there is a video editing competition on a halo forum. Why cant it just be a halo contest? Why not just submit any video even if its not halo. Its all about the best editing right?
Who said this competition was just about editing? And this is a Halo forum man. And this section is a Halo 3 section. So I mean, a Halo 3 video competition on a Halo 3 forum seems pretty logical to me.
Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
07-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by || TM22 || View Post
Who said this competition was just about editing? And this is a Halo forum man. And this section is a Halo 3 section. So I mean, a Halo 3 video competition on a Halo 3 forum seems pretty logical to me.
On a subconscious level, people are attracted to flashy/cinema-like videos rather than slap-some-music-to-gameplay videos.

If you're someone who doesn't like change much, you might not like the newer "higher level" videos, but evolution happens.

Edit: This was sort of a followup to you.